My yoyos are dying

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Tikobird

My yoyos are dying

Post by Tikobird » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:41 am

I bought 2 yoyos and had them for a few weeks. One began to go toward the filter for air and then would fall slowly. Finally, he died. The 2nd one seemed fine then started slowing down and I didn't see him eat. He's still alive but very subdued.

My tank:

36 deep
2 dwarf plecostomus: 1 Angelfish, 5 Corydoras,
planted
medium gravel
good water test.

Diana

Re: My yoyos are dying

Post by Diana » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:41 pm

With the hint 'Going toward the filter for air' suggests a gill problem. A couple of diseases and parasites can infest the gills. Are the gills red? Is the fish panting? (moving the gills a lot, perhaps gasping with his mouth opening and closing)

Other diseases and parasites are possible. Is the fish showing any other symptoms? Lethargic is a general sign of a fish not doing well, not a specific diagnosis.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

loachnoob

Post by loachnoob » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:58 pm

I got hooked on loaches with yoyos and had A LOT of bad experiences.

From the best I can gather - somehow these guys are the most diseased ridden fish sold. Forgive me if you're a solid fish dealer. My best guess, is the stress from transport causes these guys to give their infections the upper hand. I've seen the symptoms you're talking about - almost yoyoing from he top the bottom. Sadly this isn't why they're called yoyos :evil:

I'll go ahead a wear my heart on my sleeve, I bet I've had no less than a dozen yoyos die once bringing them home -which resulted in me trying all sorts of stuff. In the end, the best I found was treat aggressively with SeaChem Paragaurd at the max dose for weeks on end. If the fish were healthy enough when I brought them home they survived. Most of the time they came home past the point of no return to my untrained eye. I only have 2 yoyos now - ones a beast for its age and the other (who looks like a yoyo hybrid or lacks the true "yoyo" pattern) are the only two I have left. The weird colored one hasn't grown much. In the end, I think there was an underlying ich infection.

Had my luck had been different I would have a dominant yoyo tank, but I don't. Ended up with kubotia and a handfull of other cool loach species that were simply healthier when I brought them home/quarantined them.

Tikobird

Clown loach not growing as large as I've read

Post by Tikobird » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:35 am

I've had a clown loach for about 10 months and he's not getting larger. I've always read they grow to about 8-10 inches long but he's staying at about 4 inches long. I have him in a 36-gallon tank and am in the process of moving my fish to a 75 gallon. Maybe they don't all get as large as what the websites say. Can someone tell me more about their size? Does it depend on the size of the tank? :roll: :roll: :roll:

nanalyly

Post by nanalyly » Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:10 am

The strings on yo-yos can wear out over time due to repeated use. If your yo-yos are not performing well, it might be a good idea to replace the strings with fresh ones.
connections

katyswift468

Post by katyswift468 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:03 pm

Ensure that your water parameters, such as temperature, pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels, are within the appropriate range for the species in your tank. Fluctuations or imbalances in these parameters can stress and harm fish. retro bowl college