Quarantine tank

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Basil

Quarantine tank

Post by Basil » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:50 am

I’ve just moved all the fish out of a 29 gallon and plan to use it as a loach quarantine as soon as my LFS stocks the Botia Histrionica again.
After the quarantine period I plan to stock it with harlequin rasboras and one of the Pygmy Cory species.
It’s gravel now which I will be taking out and eventually replacing with sand.
And I’ve already moved my filter sponges into a big HOB that’s on my 40 b to keep the BB alive.
So for loach quarantine, should I leave it bare bottom and add a couple of caves?
I have a resin rock cave and a log that should provide enough hiding spaces.
Or should I go ahead and put the sand in?
Also, it was mentioned to go ahead and treat for internal parasites. What should I use?
Thanks! Trying to be proactive!

NancyD

Re: Quarantine tank

Post by NancyD » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:10 am

Well, like I said before, I often (usually) treat botiid loaches with flubendazole or levamisole...Think about it...It's not "mandatory" but it can help with (almost always) wild caught fish & their possible internal parasites.

IF there are health issues after that, then you can think about a "next step" treatment if needed....Tell us why you think you need to go to the "next step"...what signs? Etc? Not eating, losing weight? What??

Basil

Re: Quarantine tank

Post by Basil » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:23 am

Thanks!!
I just ordered Prazipro which is praziquantel. So hopefully, that is adequate. If I have any issues after that, I will be sure to post!