Two Dojo Health Questions

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

WobbyRirick

Two Dojo Health Questions

Post by WobbyRirick » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:39 pm

Hey Loach Forum!
New member here, and I've got a few dojo issues I'm looking for some insight on.
So, I had one leap from the tank about two weeks ago! He landed on my couch and we think he was there for maybe up to two hours before we found him. He didn't look like he was gonna make it initially, thrashing, floating, twisting, he was a mess! But after about two days, I couldn't really tell which of the three had jumped, yay! All eating, doing normal Loach stuff. Then, I noticed one Loach had completely lost his tail fin, like it's gone with also his top fin looking a little worse for the wear also. I chalked this up to him probably being the leaper, and being dried out I assumed his fins took some damage. However, now, another Loach is showing a brand new link near his tail....this has me wondering, was he the one who jumped? I searched and searched and ive found plenty of people talking about "bent" loaches, but since these problems are showing in two loaches now, and only one jumped, I'm a little worried! Also, I've began to notice Loach size clear slime coat looking clouds? For the past few weeks....like is one shedding or something?

Looking for maybe someone who's had a Loach jump out the tank, and what kind of damage can be normally expected, and if it will heal? And do you think the fin damage Loach was the jumper, or the guy with the kink in his tail? The fin damage appeared almost immediately after the jump occurred, but this bent Loach I've just noticed, no bend in anyone before.

Tank is 75g, been running this tank for about 3 months. Loaches went in right after it cycled. Current inhabitants are 2 common goldfish (3in and 2in), 3 golden dojo loaches (all about 3ish inches), 13 White cloud mountain minnows, 4 mystery snails, and 6 amano shrimp. All inhabitants get along great, nobody really picks on anyone. I've got sand substrate with large rocks and manzanita driftwood in the tank. Plants are low tech, 3 anubias, a bit of hornwort, 3 Java ferns, 2 amazon swords, Java moss, and a few other random plants. Light is Finnex planted plus 247. Filtration is fluval fx4 and a sponge filter with an airstone. I do little maybe 5% water changes every day or two when I vacuum the substrate, and one larger 25-30% once a week. Water parameters stay study at ammonia 0, nitrite 0, and I've been keeping nitrate under 20 (it's usually the light on orange on the API kit). Temp is 70f, and pH runs at 8.0. I feed 3x daily, small meals of a mix of floating pebbles, flakes, and freeze dried brine shrimp and blood worms. No s/s of any distress in any fish, all are eating and acting pretty normal. I also have covered the top completely now as I didn't have on the little plastic flaps thinking the loaches wouldn't fly out a 2 inch hole, but boy was I wrong! Only chemicals I use are prime during water changes, and i was half dosing a stress coat to try and help the fin damage, but I've since stopped. I think that's about it. Love these loaches, any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm gonna try and post some pics after I post! Thanks guys/gals!

WobbyRirick

Re: Two Dojo Health Questions

Post by WobbyRirick » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:47 pm

Dojo issues https://imgur.com/a/ZBizSA3

Excuse the mess under my filter in the one picture....all my poo collects there, hence the little vacuums daily. also the pic of the bent Loach looks extra exaggerated in the pic, but when he's swimming bis when you notice it the most

WobbyRirick

Post by WobbyRirick » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:50 pm

Whole tank https://imgur.com/a/wJERgVB

Just in case maybe something is related to how I have things setup

WobbyRirick

Post by WobbyRirick » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:48 am

Update: Loach with the kink started to develop a large bump near the kink. Also, two tiny red spots. He was moved to a 20g qt and I'm 1/4 dosing tetra lifeguard.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

WobbyRirick

Post by WobbyRirick » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:17 am

Another update
As of 1/24 still no change really. He's still bent, still got a lil bump by his butt, and is still shedding a lot of slime coat. However, still no change in movement, eating, activity, etc...water I'm the qt is great. Ammonia 0, nitrite, 0, nitrate is maybe 5? I've been doing the aquarium co op med trio now, with daily water changes, then redosing the meds. Still no change. I think I'm gonna keep him in qt another weekish then back in the display? None of the fish in the big tank are showing any signs of anything similar or any other distress. Still, if anyone has any advice I'm all ears!