Big Yoyo

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

joesmith1992

Big Yoyo

Post by joesmith1992 » Wed May 13, 2020 4:32 pm

Hi all I have decided to put this up to see if anyone has any experience with yoyos. I have 5 in total, 4 are around 3 inches and 1 is at least 6. Shes become pretty fat in the past month , to me she looks unusually bloated , but she is very active and eats well. Any ideas ? I was thinking perhaps it's eggs but I'm not 100 percent.

Bas Pels

Re: Big Yoyo

Post by Bas Pels » Thu May 14, 2020 2:39 am

That's a big one, and I would not say she is fat - apart from the belly she still looks slim.

To me it is eithe bloat or eggs. And as you wrote she is active, eating a lot, it must be eggs.

Now the thing is - are the others, presumably males, also very active? You might be looking at an attempt to breed.

joesmith1992

Post by joesmith1992 » Thu May 14, 2020 7:05 am

Cheers for the reply!

I have no idea what to look out for regarding breeding behavior, all I know is it's difficult. However I doubt fry would survive my current set up anyway as they are housed with geophagus cichlids and some others.

I've taken a short video of her with the group, there is a lot of chasing going on recently. :lol:

https://youtu.be/XSUI0fMd8b8

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Thu May 14, 2020 4:51 pm

I am quite fanatic about cichlids, and I love Geophagus.

But the change of breeding Botia would make me device traps for catching Geophagus without disturbing the Botias. Anytime

joesmith1992

Post by joesmith1992 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:20 am

Thanks for the replies ,I have continued to monitor the behaviour and there is little change regarding size.
She is a very opportunistic eater , see this video where she actually surfaces to eat some floating cichlid pellets!

https://youtu.be/SotBVD7lI3M

She is definitely a greedy fish. No other loaches behave like this in my aquarium.
Does anyone know how long she will hold the eggs ? ( If they're eggs at all )