Yoyo safe Hydra treatment

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Bigpupmom

Yoyo safe Hydra treatment

Post by Bigpupmom » Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:20 pm

Hi all. I just bought 4 YoYo loaches and love them. However I noticed some Hydra in my tank for the first time ever. May have hitched a ride in the little bit of LFS water. I have researched treatments that are safe for my Amano and Betta that share the tank (I have a mystery snail and Nerites and they will be removed prior to any treatments). I cannot find anything about which of the treatments are safe for YoYo’s. I have Planaria Zero and fenbendazole. I also saw something about hydrogen peroxide? 🤔 Any one able to help with what will be safe to use? We tried manual removal with little success. Heat is not good as I have no where to house all the fish while I use that method. Just have a small 3 gal tank I use as a hospital tank. Salt is also not good for loaches either. Any advice is appreciated 🙂

Bas Pels

Re: Yoyo safe Hydra treatment

Post by Bas Pels » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:36 am

Unless we are speaking about very small fishes (newly hatched, 3 mm or so), Hydra are harmless and will only steal a little food. Therefore I would do nothing.

I have heard Trichomopodus sumatranus (new genusname, hope I got it right) eat Hydra, but most likely this fish does not fit in your tank.

mulliganhelen3

Post by mulliganhelen3 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:15 am

I have a Betta fish but was told that they cannot be togetherchattanooga epoxy floors.If only had I known I should buy in pairs, also, is it true that I should keep the tank water not as clear as it should be? Said that it will die, what treatment do you guys do with Betta?

CheeseSticklover99

Post by CheeseSticklover99 » Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:59 pm

3% food grade hydrogen peroxide has worked great for me in killing hydras and all my fish are doing great. I have many loaches and rasboras.

Here are some resources for directions and such. :) hope it helps!

https://www.plantedtank.net/threads/hyd ... s.1305317/

https://aquariumbreeder.com/hydra-in-a- ... treatment/

lauryfriese

Post by lauryfriese » Tue Aug 08, 2023 5:36 am

I can confirm that there is no specific "Hydra treatment" that is safe for yoyos. Hydra are small freshwater invertebrates that can sometimes be found in aquariums. While they are not harmful to fish, they can be unsightly and can reproduce quickly, leading to an overpopulation problem. There are various treatments available to control Hydra in aquariums, but not all of them are safe for all fish species.It's important to note that yoyos (Pangasius hypophthalmus) are sensitive to certain medications and treatments. Many medications that are commonly used in aquariums can be harmful to yoyos or other catfish species. Therefore, it's important to research any treatment thoroughly before using it in an aquarium with yoyos or consult with a veterinarian or experienced aquarist for guidance.If you are dealing with Hydra in your aquarium and have yoyos in the tank, one option is to manually remove the Hydra using a fine mesh net or a turkey baster. You can also consider reducing the amount of food you're feeding the fish to reduce the amount of nutrients in the water that Hydra thrive on. Additionally, maintaining good water quality and ensuring that the aquarium is not overstocked can help prevent Hydra from becoming a problem. Candy Crush

bandslate

Post by bandslate » Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:46 pm

I've heard that Trichomopodus sumatranus (new genusname, crossing my fingers) eats Hydra, however I highly doubt that it would be able to swim around in your aquariumfree games. My hydra problem has been solved with 3% food-grade hydrogen peroxide, and my fish are thriving. Any treatment used in an aquarium with yoyos should be carefully researched beforehand, or advice should be sought from a vet or seasoned aquarist.