please help! maggots??

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

lapinkace

please help! maggots??

Post by lapinkace » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:37 am

Hullo everyone. I recently discovered MILLIONS (LITERALLY) of maggots in my tank after I've mistaken them as "dusts" in my tank for the past few weeks. My brother had refilled my tank for me and forgot to rinse out the tub he was using so I noticed the dust floating at the top after he dumped the water in. For the next couple of weeks I kinda shrugged it off because I figured it was just dust.. because it definitely was, the first time he refilled the tank. Well.. yesterday I looked closely at my tank and noticed they were moving!! There are maggots EVERYWHERE! I bought "Parasite Clear Tank Buddies", suggested from people at Petco, along with some Aqua salt stuff because supposedly "If salt can kill slugs, then you figure salt can kill the worms" -- as said by a Petco employee. Well anyway I have find very mild progress from the Parasite clear, but it has ONLY been an hour or less since I've put the tablets in... I believe the aqua salt isn't doing any justice. Does anyone else have any other suggestions as to get rid of these things?! I am so disgusted and embaressed. I must say that there was NOTHING ELSE added to the tank that could've made these "maggots/parasites" appear... I have NO idea how they came about otehr than the "dust" from the tub we used.. but that tub is kept inside..in my bathroom to be precise. So it wasn't that dirty because we continuously use it.

PLEASE PLEASE HELP....

A picture just to get an idea..

Sorry it looks like that..they're squiggliing around and my hands are very unsteady.

And can I add...
what happens if I touch the maggots or if they get on me? I'm really scared of them getting inside my body and growing in me. I'm traumatized from seeing those commercials on tv of those people pulling out maggots/worms out of little children in third world countries. I am actually from a third world county and my mom told me stories about how her sisters had worms in them. I'm TERRIFIED. I took out some plants out of the tank and I literally burned my hand to kill anything that got on em..

mistergreen

Post by mistergreen » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:16 am

sorry, I couldn't read you whole post because of your large image.
But those little white 'maggots' are probably planarians. They're flat worms and are harmless to fish and people. It's due to an overfed tank. Vacuum your tank and do more water changes and feed your fish less.

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:35 am

i was thinking the same thing MG, the only other thing that i can think of is the freshwater bristle worm but normally you would'nt see that many of them.
harmless to the fish and humans, as far as i know.
do plenty of water changes and feed less and they should dissappear in time lapinkace.

mick

piggy4

Post by piggy4 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:59 am

Are there any fish that might eat these Mick :?:

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:38 am

in my tanks no fish will eat them, but according to mr Barnes his L333's completely rid his tank of them, i have heard that some Anabantids will eat either but ive never experienced it myself.
OK Andy Pandy. :lol:

mick

crazy loaches

Post by crazy loaches » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:50 am

My guess would also be planaria, a quick search reveled some basic info you
can reed at http://www.aquariumcorner.com/planaria.htm

BTW, just a kindly suggestion to try in the future to shrink your pics down a
bit or if you want a larger picture than just post a link to the pic instead of the
actual pic... the large pic makes it hard to read since you have to scroll left
and right for every line. :wink:
Last edited by crazy loaches on Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shari2

Post by shari2 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:51 pm

Hi lapinkace and welcome to the forums.

If they are twitching around and look like thin threads they are planaria and nothing to be afraid of.

Can you tell us more about your tank? What size is it, what fish are in it, what decor, what's the temp, pH, nitrate and nitrite/ammonia levels? What is your substrate?
How often/how much and what do you feed your fish?
How often do you change the water?

The best thing you can do is stop feeding your fish for several days, gravel vacuum your tank daily for a week, and begin feeding again after you've gotten the gunk (fish waste, old food, etc) out of the substrate.

Some small fish like molly fry may eat the planaria and i've seen angelfish nibble them occasionally but no fish will go for them if there's already plenty of other food provided.

Don't panic. They won't hurt you even if you have a cut on your hand. They are not maggots and they didn't get in there from your bucket. They are very common in overfed/undercleaned fish tanks. I've had them myself (and likely still do) if I slack off on cleaning my tanks.
books. gotta love em!
http://www.Apaperbackexchange.com

lapinkace

Post by lapinkace » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:41 am

Well they are definitely planaria! I immediately did a 30% water change and they are slowly yet surely clearing up. You can see the reduced amount of planaria in the tank. Still gross but definitely less than before.

I have a 20 gal tall, with all babies. 2 oscars, 2 cat fish and a plecostemus. I plan on getting rid of some fishes to make room for my one oscar, who I favor the most. I only have a small decoration of some weird pirate thing, and I got rid of all my plants (one live and two fake) ever since the planaria incident. No idea about the levels because I don't have a testing kit.. an investment that needs to be made soon though.

I don't actually change the water, sadly, I only refill every 3 weeks or so due to evaporation. But I've learned my lesson and will definitely keep up with proper maintenance.

None of my fish are eating the planaria.. I wish they did though.

Thank you for the kind responses, everyone.

Morpheus

Post by Morpheus » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:47 am

Ummmm, I am sure others here will agree, but a 20 gallon is WAY too small for even one oscar.. I don't mean to come off as rude by saying that, but heres a pic of one of the oscars I had as reference for how big they get..

I trust that this proposition needs only to be looked at by an American to be seen in its true point of view and that we shall all consider ourselves unauthorized to saddle posterity with our debts and morally bound to pay them ourselves-Thomas Jefferson

Laura

Post by Laura » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:58 am

Hello,
I know it wasn't your original question, but I see you have some very high bioload fish (that get big!) in a fairly small tank.
Here's a link on oscars http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/oscar_cichlid.php
Page 2 talks about their adult size and need for a minimum 75 gallon tank for one oscar.

(Morpheus - your oscar looks like it has malevolent plans for your kitten!)

Diana

Post by Diana » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:13 am

Even as babies your fish are pretty messy. I would be doing 50% water changes per week, especially not knowing the water parameters.

"Oscar-the kitten" is SO cute ;-)
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

crazy loaches

Post by crazy loaches » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:52 pm

I just wanted to agree with everyone else. But as long as they are babies
the 20 should be fine for now but I'd definitely get in the habit of doing a
regular water change. To many its a shock how much water change you
should be doing, as most pet stores will only tell you like 25% a month but
that isnt really a good idea. Weekly is best if you can pull it off. Many do
50% weekly, 25% is probably fine for the average tank. You might be
good with biweekly also but I'd not recommend any less than every two
weeks at 25% minimum. Some with overstocked tanks actually do 2-3
water changes a week, and ~50% each time! I dont have the time to pull
of more than 1 wc per week but I can usually keep up with once a week
and I'm very lazy.

I often say the single best thing you can do for your fish is a regular
weekly water change. Just make sure you match the temps close enough
and use a good water conditioner like Seachem Prime.

BTW, have you heard of a python? Many newer aquarists dont do
waterchanges since they are a PITA. But they also dont know about the
Python, which attaches to a nearby sink and will drain and fill your tank via
a hose and you dont have to carry buckets or anything like that.

And also, I hope you have plans for a good sized tank! If you planned on
keeping all those same fish together in one tank you going to need a 6
footer probably (125-135g minimum).

Good luck! And dont hesitate to ask anything on the forums if you have
more Q's. :)

Morpheus

Post by Morpheus » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:24 am

I want to agree with crazy loaches in the interim they will be okay, but that time will be limited, since oscars grow very quickly.. The oscar I had pictured outgrew his 55 gallon in less than a year. When he was moved to the 120.

The oscar probably did have plans for the kitty, but luckily for the kitty there was a pane of glass protecting it..

Oscars are great fish, I just loved mine, he would jump from the tank and take food from my hand, which I had to stop doing when he got really big because it became dangerous for him since he was a big lug...
I trust that this proposition needs only to be looked at by an American to be seen in its true point of view and that we shall all consider ourselves unauthorized to saddle posterity with our debts and morally bound to pay them ourselves-Thomas Jefferson

MoonPye

Post by MoonPye » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:32 am

Morpheus wrote:I want to agree with crazy loaches in the interim they will be okay, but that time will be limited, since oscars grow very quickly.. The oscar I had pictured outgrew his 55 gallon in less than a year. When he was moved to the 120.

The oscar probably did have plans for the kitty, but luckily for the kitty there was a pane of glass protecting it..

Oscars are great fish, I just loved mine, he would jump from the tank and take food from my hand, which I had to stop doing when he got really big because it became dangerous for him since he was a big lug...
We had two Oscars years ago in a 55 and they definitely outgrew it in less than a year. The only reason we don't have any Oscars now is due to the lack of a really big tank. I love them too! Ours also used to jump up for food, they are very interesting fish with great personality. I miss having them, but won't even be tempted until we have at least 100+ gallons.

I absolutely LOVE your picture, btw. (as a kitty and an Oscar fan)
~Monica in NEPA ~ We got Dojo Mojo!
Mom to 3 humans, one dog, one cat, and many fish

san-ho-zay

Post by san-ho-zay » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:38 am

Just make sure you match the temps close enough
and use a good water conditioner like Seachem Prime.

BTW, have you heard of a python? Many newer aquarists dont do
waterchanges since they are a PITA. But they also dont know about the
Python, which attaches to a nearby sink and will drain and fill your tank via
a hose and you dont have to carry buckets or anything like that.
How do you achieve the first using the second?
Richard
Rio 300