Panorama picture

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

connor

Panorama picture

Post by connor » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:28 pm

Hi *@*,

I did some re-decorating in my loach community tank .. good enough reason to post a new picture. ;-)

I threw out the bamboo tubes .. pretty but they were rotting too much for my liking. These 40mm PVC tubes are definitely not pretty but more healthy I guess (tried to hide them a little). Added new wood to the right-hand side and built some nice new caves. Powerhead at the top right is also new, I now have 2x 1000 L/h and 1x 600 L/h flow from the powerheads alone in this 300 L / 79 gallons tank. Most of the wood is placed in such a way that both long sides are free for the fish to swim, also the current goes in a nice circular motion because of this. Plants are anubias barleti which are growing quite nicely, though the loaches try their best to massacre them.

(Shot taken without flash @ ISO 800, 1/34sec exposure time, hence the slight motion blurs)

Any comments are welcome.

-Connor
'I ought never to act except in such a way that I can also will that my maxim should become a universal law.'

Finnatic

Post by Finnatic » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:37 pm

Hi,

You have a beautiful set up - except for the PVC pipes.

The drfit wood etcetera should provide plenty of hiding places for your CLs. Or, place some earthen pots here and there if you must have so many hiding places for them.

Just my humble suggestion. :)
Finnatic
Swim with sharks and play with dolphins (and mermaids when they come around)

connor

Post by connor » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:43 pm

I would throw out the PVC pipes in a blink if my loaches wouldn't love them so much. They always sleep in them and prefer them over all other caves, at least for the night. So I guess they stay in until I find some more beautifully coloured tubes that won't rot. :)

-Connor
'I ought never to act except in such a way that I can also will that my maxim should become a universal law.'

starsplitter7

Tubes

Post by starsplitter7 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:59 pm

How about rolling the tubes in sand after putting aquarium sealing glue on the tubes? Then the tubes look like the sand.

helen nightingale

Post by helen nightingale » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:13 am

my first reaction was: Nice pipes! i think they are great. if they are good for for the fish, then thats most important

Dirk_H.

Post by Dirk_H. » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:50 am

Hello,

It's nice, but the cichlid at the wrong place.

Best regards
Dirk
honeste vivere,
neminem laedere,
suum quique tribuere.

www.cichlidenwelt.de

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:10 pm

Pipes rule. If anything put more pipes in there.

connor

Post by connor » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:18 pm

@ chefkeith

Couldn't agree more. Tubes and loaches are kind of made for another. Loaches were a horror of mine to net in before I added tubes. Now they're the easiest fish to catch. :)

@ starsplitter7
I had thought about doing that with my gravel but wasn't sure ...

I think I got accustomed to them now. They're not pretty, agreed, but watching the loaches using them kind of pays back for that.

@ Dirk_H.
I know there are some valid arguments that support your opinion. All I can say is .. I think the cichlid is happy in my tank. Personality-wise he's an amazing match for the loaches ('Jack' is very loachy himself). Zero aggression.

-Connor

ctabone

Post by ctabone » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:12 pm

Absolutely beautiful tank.

Another tube suggestion would be to wedge them in between the wood and the gravel, sort of underneath everything (a strategy I used after redoing my tank).

Regardless, it looks quite stunning.

8)

Rubix

Post by Rubix » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:51 pm

Beautiful tank connor, beautiful 8) Definitely keep the PVC. You can easily hide it with plants and moss.

mistergreen

Post by mistergreen » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:25 am

Loaches definitely love the pipes.. Maybe put the pipes in the substrate or behind the woods... They like their privacy.

capeldrae

Post by capeldrae » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:38 am

Great set-up Connor.
I would hide the pipes if it was my set-up, but it's not.
Brian

bslindgren

Post by bslindgren » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:22 pm

capeldrae wrote: I would hide the pipes if it was my set-up, but it's not.
There's some good tips on how to do that in the loach book. Lovely setup either way, and the loaches probably couldn't care less about the aesthetics of the pipes.....
Why does my aquarium always seem too small?

palaeodave

Post by palaeodave » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:41 pm

The pipes are no more unsightly than the powerheads we all have in our tanks. Their function is the most important thing but I don't think they're ugly enough to have much effect on such a lovely tank. Great work.

starsplitter7

Tank

Post by starsplitter7 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:47 pm

I agree. You tank is beautiful, and your fish look so happy.

I only mentioned the sand on the pipes, because you said you thought they were not pretty. Personally the pipes don't bother me at all, and I think we should build our tanks for our fish.

I have pipes in my tanks too. Thy don't bother me at all, and they make my fish happy. :)

Beautiful Tank! :)