What DVDs should I rent?

This forum is for all non-fish-related subjects and is un-moderated. Be warned that at times, opinions expressed within are often strongly held and defended. Some may find certain views and language offensive. The opinions expressed are those of the posters and do not represent the opinions of the moderation team or the site owner.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:47 am

At Xmas, I gave a friend a box set of Almodovar movies. The same friend came out to the suburbs last week for my birthday and I saw All About My Mother for the first time. He left the box set here and I just watched it again.

It won the best foreign picture oscar in 1999. It's as clever and sophisticated and well shot as any European film I've ever seen - and I've seen the odd one. Just fantastic. Multi-layered, funny, sad, luxurious...

The byline says: "Part of every woman is a mother/actress/saint/sinner. And part of every man is a woman." That does nothing to prepare you. I think this will be Almodovar's masterpiece, but I hope he outdoes himself.

Brilliant!
Your vantage point determines what you can see.

Dave C

Post by Dave C » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:59 pm

I've always liked Adam Sandler, though some of his movies are pretty hard to take. But Reign Over Me is a pretty good one & a departure from his normal stuff.

I also just watched We Were Soldiers. Wow, that's a pretty damned gruesome depiction of war. Quite a movie.

Morpheus

Post by Morpheus » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:02 pm

We were soldiers is a great movie!!

"What are you a god damn weatherman???" :lol:

Although I teared up at the end... When they scroll the list of casualties it always gets me.. Black Hawk Down does the same thing.
I trust that this proposition needs only to be looked at by an American to be seen in its true point of view and that we shall all consider ourselves unauthorized to saddle posterity with our debts and morally bound to pay them ourselves-Thomas Jefferson

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:38 pm

Gone Baby Gone...........Written and directed by Ben Aflick......witty script, excellent acting and a nice moral dilemna twist near the end.

We thoroughly enjoyed it.

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Pilze

Post by Pilze » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:57 pm

Check out Stargate: The Ark of Truth

Ken

Post by Ken » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:16 pm

Pilze wrote:Check out Stargate: The Ark of Truth
I think you'd have to be a hardcore Stargate fan to appreciate that movie. Most people wouldn't have a clue what's going on.
“Good bread is the most fundamentally satisfying of all foods; and good bread with fresh butter, the greatest of feasts.”

James Beard

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:58 am

Sticky!
Your vantage point determines what you can see.

Martin Thoene

Post by Martin Thoene » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:54 am

Mark in Vancouver wrote:Sticky!
Wet Wipes.

Martin.

Ken

Post by Ken » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:23 am

I finally saw Letters from Iwo Jima which I thought was very good. On the flip side, don't bother with Flags of our Fathers which really sucked, IMO.

This probably goes without saying but if you rent Letters, promise to watch it with the Japanese soundtrack and subtitles. Dubbing works great for bad monster movies but that's about the only time it works.
“Good bread is the most fundamentally satisfying of all foods; and good bread with fresh butter, the greatest of feasts.”

James Beard

Dave C

Post by Dave C » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:05 am

Ken wrote:I finally saw Letters from Iwo Jima which I thought was very good. On the flip side, don't bother with Flags of our Fathers which really sucked, IMO.
I agree. I didn't care much for the Flags movie.

I just saw City of God. Liked it a lot. Interesting with respect to the current discussion about British youth.

Morpheus

Post by Morpheus » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:34 am

I don't know if its been mentioned in this thread yet... But the lady made me watch Juno the other day... And surprisingly I thought it was a fantastic movie.
I trust that this proposition needs only to be looked at by an American to be seen in its true point of view and that we shall all consider ourselves unauthorized to saddle posterity with our debts and morally bound to pay them ourselves-Thomas Jefferson

Ken

Post by Ken » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:40 pm

Morpheus wrote:I don't know if its been mentioned in this thread yet... But the lady made me watch Juno the other day... And surprisingly I thought it was a fantastic movie.
My wife, my son and I all thought it was particularly boring. Not exactly bad but really boring. Some of the acting was very good but it wasn't enough to carry the movie.

James Beard

Dave C

Post by Dave C » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:06 pm

Morpheus wrote:But the lady made me watch Juno the other day... And surprisingly I thought it was a fantastic movie.
I liked it too. Ellen Page was pretty good in Hard Candy too. Totally different type of flick.

Martin Thoene

Post by Martin Thoene » Sun May 04, 2008 7:05 pm

Just watched Juno this afternoon. I liked it.

Saw There Will Be Blood with Daniel Day-Lewis last night. Excellent movie and his acting was awesome.

Martin.

Dave C

Post by Dave C » Sun May 04, 2008 10:44 pm

Just watched Donnie Darko again tonight. What a fantastic trip.