External Filter arrived !

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Ana

External Filter arrived !

Post by Ana » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:00 am

Hello everyone !

My Fluval 405 has arrived and I will be setting-it up on saturday.

I have noticed however that I won't be able to close the lid on my aquarium as this filter will have 2 hosing comming down.

What can I do ? I am not sure if the fishes would jump, if I leave one part of the lid off ? :? :?

I am thinking maybe to cut a hole on the lid ?? :? :?

But on the other hand I am affraid if I am going to damage the VERY expensive aquarium...

How do you do your's ??

Thank you for your help.

Ana

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:56 am

Hi Ana,

You will have to perform some 'cabinet surgery' to your tank lid. You firstly need to figure out where you are going to position the inlet and outlet pipes for the filter, then cut out a small area from the lid so that the pipes just fit through. Any bigger and you may risk fish jumping out, so you need to ensure quite a snug fit. A tool such as a junior hacksaw may be the best implement to use, and just be patient and cut slowly and gently so as not to cause cracks in the lid.

The Juwel tanks usually need their lids modifying when adding extra equipment, so you are not alone. Other makes of tanks sometimes come with gaps as the back of the hood to allow for pipes, leads etc, and others come with 'knock-out' panels that can be taken out if necessary (and save you from having to cut them).

Good luck, and let us know if you get stuck when you are installing it on Saturday.

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:58 pm

Great!!! :D