Best plants for Clowns

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

abaigael04

Best plants for Clowns

Post by abaigael04 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:49 am

I know they EAT plants, but does anyone have any suggestion on plants that are more resistant to a Clown Loach? I have 2 Anubias Nana and while they are doing OK, they have a few holes poked into them, but only a very few... should I stick with Anubias? Are there any other (preferably low light - 1-2 WPG) plants for a Clown Loach tank?

Jade
Jade

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:55 am

i think for low light levels, Java fern is unbeatable, anubias has soft leaves that can easily be damaged especially by botia's.

mick

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:03 pm

I agree, java fern is a good choice. There's a couple varieties too, needle leaf & windelov (lace). Crypts work for me but my fish are still small.

I've found they don't bother the sword in with them if I give them veggies several times a week.

abaigael04

Post by abaigael04 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:26 pm

and I give mine veggies a few times a week and they SHREDDED both my swords... :cry: I will look at the java and crypts for now, too...
Jade

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:35 pm

the cryps they will destroy as they are slow growers.

mick

piggy4

Post by piggy4 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:41 pm

I must admit i wasn't aware that Clowns were avid plant eaters ?
In my experience some of the Botias are ok with plants ! I used to keep a group of Histrionicas in a tank full of crypts without any problems !

oilhands

Post by oilhands » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:16 pm

abaigael04 wrote:and I give mine veggies a few times a week and they SHREDDED both my swords... :cry: I will look at the java and crypts for now, too...
I find that mine pick at my sword's leaves only when there is something on the leaves. Basically they end up looking like Swiss Cheese...you know...before they die.

I'm getting ready to re-home all my loaches and I'm going to try Java Fern, Java Moss, Egeria densa (which has done ok with them so far), and Onion Plant(Crinum thaianum) in a river tank setup. Anybody have any favorite plants that loaches don't eat that I might like?

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:17 pm

Mine were ok with Anubias and Java Fern until they got over the 6" mark and larger ones were also introduced (up to 12"). They seem to get more mischevous and egg each other on to destroy the planted scene when they get bigger. I was having to replace all my motherplants (expensive!) about 4 or 5 times a year because they would destroy them, now I have gone over to the dreaded plastic plants! I have some at the tank which are attached via suckers to the back glass, and they even manage to pull those off. :roll: :lol:

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

Gary Stanton

Post by Gary Stanton » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:40 pm

They even move the silk type of plants around in my tank. I see them swimming around holding the plants quite often.
"Beware of the fish people, they are the true enemy."
-- Frank Zappa, speech to a pro-choice rally in Los Angeles around 1989-90

Eyrie

Post by Eyrie » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:51 pm

I had three attempts at a cryptocorene lawn before I conceded defeat to my clowns. I've found java fern to be the best option (for now, based on Emma's post).
Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

newshound

Post by newshound » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:35 pm

heck ive had kubs tear into dwarf sag, eos take apart vals, crypts last seconds with striatas.
I can't imagine anything lasting long with mature clowns.

Ive seen eos try to bite rocks!
drain your pool!

tariesindanrie

Post by tariesindanrie » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:35 pm

Hi Jade,

I asked the same question a few months back- http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php ... ght=plants

Java fern turned out to be the one they bother the least, but it still has some holes...I wound up removing the Annubius altogether, when they started stripping whole leaves off and uprooted it a few times, just for fun.

Emma's absolutely right- when they are tiny, they don't bother plants...they get a little bigger, the holes start appearing...they get a lot bigger and they turn into positive hooligans.

Kate
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”- Dr. Seuss

Botia Robert

Post by Botia Robert » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:00 am

The other thing to think about is the other fish you keep in the same tank.

Many Loach keepers like to keep Barbs with their Loaches. Many Barbs are Herbivores.

I have recently added P Nigrofasciatus (Black Ruby Barb). They have shreaded the leaves from my Water Wistera. It probably needs more light anyway.

My Java Fern is OK. I recently found out Java Fern prefers to grow on wood rather than in the substrate. Is anyone else aware of this?

oilhands

Post by oilhands » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:07 am

Botia Robert wrote:My Java Fern is OK. I recently found out Java Fern prefers to grow on wood rather than in the substrate. Is anyone else aware of this?
It is mentioned in Peter Hiscock's Encyclopedia of Aquarium Plants http://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-Aqua ... 321&sr=1-1 I just love this book. It has a ton of great information.

abaigael04

Post by abaigael04 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:08 pm

Well ATM they are small - 2.5 inches is the biggest one, so I guess I will enjoy my anubias while I can - and then I will plant them out of water (another NON aquatic plant, from what I've read... that does good in water..) Thanks everyone!
Jade