Power cut.

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

daspricey

Power cut.

Post by daspricey » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:39 pm

Oh bu**er! :(

Got home earlier on from a day in York to find we'd had a five hour power cut! The rainbows, barbs and danios were heavily gasping at the surface. Henry (A large male geophagus) was gasping, but not at the surface and the sinibotia were the same. Only the fluval 304 turned back on, the powerhead for the box didn't turn back on. One of the Y. nigrolineata got into the filter box so in a way it's a good thing it didn't turn back on.

But i lost one of my prized sinibotia! :(

I've got to say he was a little thin for my liking and was going to de-worm and then treat for parasites in that one.

After a few hours are maximum surface movement all the fish look ok - and Henry's playing with the mass of floating plants. Rolling Eyes

Though the sinibotia are breathing quite heavily. :?

And the fish in the 30" look like nothings ever happened. :?

On another note the rest of my stuff came today so i will be getting on with the tank soon! :)

David
Last edited by daspricey on Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ashleigh

Post by Ashleigh » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:43 pm

So sorry to hear that, its always unfair when its something beyond your control.

Hope else everyone recovers quickly :!:

Looking foward to plenty of pic's when you get the tanks up and running :wink:

Ashleigh

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:55 pm

Thats too bad. :(
Fortunately, you didn't lose any more fish.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:56 pm

Bad luck, David. :cry: We had a problem with the house electrics today and the supply must have tripped out about 20 times this afternoon. I am just glad I was home at the time otherwise who knows what I'd have come back to. I was getting really worried about the tanks, but in the end, by process of elimination it seems to have been caused by the washing machine, so have turned that off for the time being and since then the electric has not tripped out again. I wish there was some sort of alarm system that could send a message/call a mobile phone if the power supply to the tanks is interrupted.

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

daspricey

Post by daspricey » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:18 pm

Thanks guys,
So sorry to hear that, its always unfair when its something beyond your control.
Yeah, definitely. Oh well, just one of those things i supose, just glad i didn't any more fish!
We had a problem with the house electrics today and the supply must have tripped out about 20 times this afternoon.
That actually happened to us a few weeks ago, fortunately we got it sorted within half an hour - though that meant missing top gear! :( lol

Glad you got it sorted!
I wish there was some sort of alarm system that could send a message/call a mobile phone if the power supply to the tanks is interrupted.
Thats a fantastic idea!

*hint* dragons den! *hint* :P

David

Bully

Post by Bully » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:36 pm

That's some bad luck! At least there weren't any more casualties, but even one loss is one too many.
Emma Turner wrote:....but in the end, by process of elimination it seems to have been caused by the washing machine.....
Probably just the brushes need changing on your motor, especially if it's a hotpoint/creda :)
Emma Turner wrote:....I wish there was some sort of alarm system that could send a message/call a mobile phone if the power supply to the tanks is interrupted......

If you have several hundred pounds spare, there is:

http://www.paraquatics.co.uk/en-gb/dept_190.html

Scroll down to the penultimate item which is a sms module. That alone is £280, and you still have to buy the main controller which is available as a starter pack at £330.00!! :shock:

David Marshall

Post by David Marshall » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:56 pm

Hey David

Yorkshire seems prone to loss of electricity at the present time.

We had our power out early Wednesday morning 0100 to 0330 approx. A beautiful Koi, which Sue (my sister) thinks we had for 15 years, in my fish house pond (for those who know my fish the remaining two 15 year old Koi are fine)and a rare wild caught colour variant of Synodontis nigrita went to the 'big aquarium in the sky' through 'shock'.

I was very disapppointed but it could have been much worse had the power out lasted longer.

It is a worry but as aquarists we live at the mercy of power cuts.

Regards David

helen nightingale

Post by helen nightingale » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:17 pm

i am glad your fish didnt suffer as badly as they might have done. it must have been a terrible shock to come home and see them panting away.

Emma mentioned to me earlier about having a text message alert when the power goes out (i did understand right, didnt i?) so i asked Tom about it, and he should be able to make this sort of system with not too much trouble, but again it is the cost. he didnt think it would be cheap.

newshound

Post by newshound » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:13 am

sorry about the loss!

although my tanks are currently over stocked (I took some tanks down to re-organize my place). Things so "south of the border" quickly if a tanks power goes off.
drain your pool!

daspricey

Post by daspricey » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:07 pm

Thanks guys,

Sorry to hear of your losses David!

When isn't Yorkshire prone to power cuts! :lol:

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:28 am

I wonder if those SMS modules would be able to alert you if the power went off, not just when there has been an interruption to the power supply and it has come back on again? We also get quite a few power cuts here, but thankfully (touch wood) they are usually quite short. What worries me the most is what happened the other day, when the power tripped out and obviously did not come back on again without us going into the electricity box and flipping the trip switch.

Emma

Bully

Post by Bully » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:18 am

Emma Turner wrote:I wonder if those SMS modules would be able to alert you if the power went off, not just when there has been an interruption to the power supply and it has come back on again?
Taken from the Aquatronica website http://www.aquatronica.it/products-1/modules/acq240 -

black-out warnings and a subsequent signal when the power is turned back on (thanks to the internal battery)

Doesn't this mean that it sends a signal first when the black-out occurs and then another signal when/if the power is restored? I don't think it means that it sends a signal only after a complete off-on situation has occurred.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:00 pm

Thanks Bully, I must have mis-read it. :roll: :lol: It would be good to hear from anyone that uses this system.

Emma