What are these? **updated with new pics 17th Sept**

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

The.Dark.One

Post by The.Dark.One » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:57 pm

Hi Emma

Great shots. They have allowed me to see the extent of the lateral line. However, I needed the mouth shot from underneath, I did say, honest! :) (it will be difficult to get a close up anyway). Without a clear close up mouth shot from underneath it is difficult to differentiate Physoschistura from Schistura and Nemacheilus. The short lateral line is pointing towards P. raoi or less likey P. pseudobrunneana, if it is a Physoschistura, but need to see the mouth and if an axillary pelvic lobe is present.
Lord Foul The Despiser, Lord of the Flies, Lucifer, Beelzebub, Mephistopheles, Satan, Iblis, Samael, The Dark Lord, The Abhorred, Azazel, Anubis, Pluto, Hades, etc

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:00 pm

This may seem like a daft question, but what do you reckon is the easiest way to do the mouth shot? Do you mean right from underneath, say if I put them into a photo tank without substrate and take a pic from directly underneath? I am glad that at least some of the shots were ok though! :wink:

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

The.Dark.One

Post by The.Dark.One » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:14 pm

Emma Turner wrote:This may seem like a daft question, but what do you reckon is the easiest way to do the mouth shot? Do you mean right from underneath, say if I put them into a photo tank without substrate and take a pic from directly underneath? I am glad that at least some of the shots were ok though! :wink:

Emma
Hi Emma
That is your best bet but it will be difficult to get the lips clear enough because of their size and colour.
Steve
Lord Foul The Despiser, Lord of the Flies, Lucifer, Beelzebub, Mephistopheles, Satan, Iblis, Samael, The Dark Lord, The Abhorred, Azazel, Anubis, Pluto, Hades, etc

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:37 am

I have finally managed to find time to have a go at photographing the underneath of the mouths of these active little loaches:

The.Dark.One please let me know if any of these are good enough and if you'd like any of them emailed over to you as larger sized files.

Emma

piggy4

Post by piggy4 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:21 pm

The one thing I have noticed about these fish is the conditioning , from the first pic till now 8)

The.Dark.One

Post by The.Dark.One » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:04 pm

Hi Emma
Well done, I knew it wouldn't be easy!

Please email me or preferably send me links to larger images of images 3, 5, 6, 7.

Thanks

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:40 am

Sent. :wink:

The.Dark.One

Post by The.Dark.One » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:55 pm

Thanks Emma

I still cant see clearly the folds in the lower lip (I think it would be impossible with a camera using live specimens), however, based on the shape of the lips and the median interruption, the shape of the body, the markings I feel they are a Physoschistura. In terms of which one the pattern matches P. rivulicola although the lateral line seems too short for that species. It doesnt 100% match the others either. My guess is that it is a new species of Physoschistura, or it is P. rivulicola with a shorter lateral line than that reported so far for that species (some species are known to have variation in lateral line length).

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:43 am

Many thanks TDO, you're a star. 8)

chris1932

Post by chris1932 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:51 am

Emma
You still take incredible pictures! In the head on shots the fish are so cute I just want to give one a fishy kiss. BTW Hi! Its been awhile. And I have confuzona fry!
Hello all from Happy River
I have lost count of how many tanks I have

helen nightingale

Post by helen nightingale » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:07 am

Chris, its good to hear from you again, and congratulations on the fry.

mack

Post by mack » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:35 pm

Hi,
The Loaches look kind of like my Zipper Loachs.
mack
I was once open minded, but my brain kept falling out