I had to leave baby B.kubotai at the pet store

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

raecarrow

I had to leave baby B.kubotai at the pet store

Post by raecarrow » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:10 pm

:cry: I found four baby B.kubotai at my local petsmart but I had to leave them behind :cry: I don't have money or the tanks set up for them at the moment. They were SOOOO cute. The longest one was no more then an inch long. I wanted to get them sooo badly. I had to call my sister and have her tell me "You need more loaches like you need a hole in the head right now".

Besides I need to buy paint that doesn't have any fumes because I found out that the paint I bought caused me to get a bad case of bronchitis (fun stuff).

:Whine: I want those babies.
Rae

raving_wayne

Post by raving_wayne » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:26 pm

i have the same problem at every store i go to m8, i see so many loaches that i so badly want but cannot either house or afford. and to make it worse i think some moron who knows nothing about fish will bu that and it will die within a month due to lack of care or poorly setup tanks, its gutting m8

Rave
If Life is simple...... Why are there so many clever people about?!!!

raecarrow

Post by raecarrow » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:32 pm

I know!!! Plus petsmart knows NOTHING about what they are doing esp with loaches.

I saw one sales person selling this guy a desktop tank (couldn't have been any more then 2 gallons) and a CLOWN LOACH :!: :?: to go in it.
Granted, this clown loach was only an inch or so long (a BABY BABY) I set the guy buying the fish straight and told him that the fish will get to be over a foot long.
Rae

pierydys

Post by pierydys » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:44 pm

I saw the tiny baby kubs at Petsmart the other day too :-( An inch long at the most, still all stripey and tiny. Felt horrible leaving them behind, but still can't help cruising by the tanks even when I'm only there to get cat food. Ugh.

raving_wayne

Post by raving_wayne » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:57 pm

i think all fish sellers should be vetted so to speak, and if they cant advise correctly they shouldnt be allowed to sell the fish, i really does wind me up, i seen it so many times, i have even wittnessed a store that sold a baby oscar to a lad who wanted it to put in with his guppies lol i talked the lad out of the oscar, seems that the stores just want to out the fish as soon as they can regardless of if they have any chance o survival

Rave
If Life is simple...... Why are there so many clever people about?!!!

raecarrow

Post by raecarrow » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:17 pm

I wasn't even in Petsmart because I needed to get something. I just went in because I was at the Home Depot in the same complex and I couldn't resist the call of the fish tanks. I know if I'm having a bad day sometimes I'll stop by my LFS, cruise past all the tanks and buy a guppy (if they have a really good looking one I want), a plant, or a treat to feed my fish. I would buy loaches but they need more room per fish then guppies do.
Rae

Doc

Post by Doc » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:11 am

Loach addiction gets worse.. wait until everyone starts posting more pics of their current fish and their tank setups , especially ones you haven't got or more depressingly haven't got room for...

So many species of fish so little time, space and money to keep them all...
So many species of fish yet so little time, space and money to keep them all...

Ashleigh

Post by Ashleigh » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:47 am

Doc wrote: So many species of fish so little time, space and money to keep them all...
:( some day.. thats what I keep telling myself :lol:

Ashleigh

jwyfk

Post by jwyfk » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:32 pm

I picked up a couple of the baby Kubotais at Petsmart, because I've never seen them this young. Although I already have 6 "teenage" Kubotais, none of them are this perfectly black and white. It will be interesting to watch them transform. One of them already changed practically overnight from black vertical bars, to having the centers of the black bars connect together. I'm tempted to get more, but I have to stop! There are other species I'd like to buy.

I just took a few pictures with my old camera. The fish are really fast, so it's difficult to get decent pictures. I bought both of these fish at the same time, and they looked identical. In the first picture, you can see the baby Kubotai in the right hand side of the picture that hasn't developed as quickly. The other 2 pictures are of the second fish. Now it's starting to show white spots inbetween. I didn't notice this until tonight.
Last edited by jwyfk on Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pierydys

Post by pierydys » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:24 am

Yes, the ones I saw at Petsmart looked like your first one -- all stripes! I did a double-take when I first saw it, because I wasn't sure what it was at first. Some of my kubotai are from Petsmart, but I've never seen them stock anything that young at my store before.

And btw, <3 your striata -- so cute! I want some very much. Sigh.

raecarrow

Post by raecarrow » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:29 am

Love the Striata too. Looks like mine. I named him Troll because he likes hiding under the bridge that I used to have in the tank. I took it out because my Kuhlies were wedging themselves into the cracks of the bridge. I need to get a larger tank and get buddies for him and my Yoyo.

Yeah the ones I saw were ALL stripes with some having a bit of separation in the stripes but no horizontal bars. I still want those little cuties SOOOO BAD!
Rae

qumqats

Post by qumqats » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:13 pm

In that first photo, could the guy on the far right be a dario?

It looks exactly like what I purchased as dario loaches. They're definitely NOT kubotias. The kubs have a yellow tinge to them and the darios are very white. The confusing thing is my darios look nothing like the ID photos on loaches.com. The stripes are completely different.

Maybe a hybrid of some kind? Or a juvenile and the strips will change?

raecarrow

Post by raecarrow » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:23 pm

Juvies often get confused with other black and white loach species.

Here is a link that shows their color development as they grow up.
http://www.loaches.com/articles/botia-k ... term=botia
Rae

pierydys

Post by pierydys » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:26 pm

Yeah, it's just a very wee kubotai. You can already see where it's starting to spike laterally a little in those stripes. A dario's would lean a bit more forward and would have thinner, brighter yellow stripes if I remember. Saw some baby darios the other day mixed with yo-yos, but was too set on getting my mystery rostratas to go for them :-)

pierydys

Post by pierydys » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:27 pm

Hey, qumqats? Could we see pictures of your darios? You've got me curious now :-)