Zipper loach question.

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

mack

Zipper loach question.

Post by mack » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:57 pm

Hi,
I have just set up a 18 gallon long tank so I can seperate my 3 very agressive zippers. I have set the tank up in a river type theme. Would this tank be okay for these fish?

Iam also wanting to turn it into a tank for the hillstream loaches.

So will tjhe tank be okay for what I am planning? There will also be a smalll power head.

Cheers,
Mack
I was once open minded, but my brain kept falling out

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:42 pm

Hi Mack,

Did we ever clarify that they definitely are Zippers (Acanthocobitis botia) that you have there? It's just that I have never seen or heard of them acting aggressively before. If they are Zippers, yes, they will very much enjoy the current of a river tank. You will want more than one small powerhead if you are planning on keeping the sucker-belly type hillstream loaches in there though, they need a lot more water movement and a higher level of oxygenation.

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

plaalye

Post by plaalye » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:50 pm

If I remember correctly from the other thread they were mesonoemacheilus guntheri. Is that correct Mack?

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:57 pm

If that's the case, they will need plenty (and I mean plenty!) of visual barriers. M. guentheri are very territorial.

Emma

mack

Post by mack » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:55 pm

Hi,
I was on one of those touch Ipods, so it is hard to navigate around the forum. Sorry I wanted to past the name but it is so annoying to use the touch ipod.

Yes they Mesonoemacheilus guentheri. There will only be one in the tank. Along with a few Hill-Stream Loaches, if there wont be any territorial problems.

As for hiding places i am having plenty of rock work, and I mean a lot of it.

Cheers,
mac

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:50 pm

Hi Mack,

I have 2 Mesonoemacheilus guentheri in with my Sewellia lineolata and Sewellia sp. 'spotted', with tons of visual barriers, and there are no problems. This is a proper river tank, complete with manifold for optimal water movement and oxygenation.

Emma

mack

Post by mack » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:16 pm

Hi,
I looked at the river manifold. IMO I don't like the theme of it. But I will be adding power heads to provide aeration and direct high speed flow.

mack