What DVDs should I rent?

This forum is for all non-fish-related subjects and is un-moderated. Be warned that at times, opinions expressed within are often strongly held and defended. Some may find certain views and language offensive. The opinions expressed are those of the posters and do not represent the opinions of the moderation team or the site owner.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Ken

Post by Ken » Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:11 pm

Mark in Vancouver wrote:The first ten minutes were a bit irritating - I don't know why he kept that animation, the video game thing... But by the end it's actually quite moving. Glad you liked it.
I enjoyed the animation but I also enjoy playing video games so I could relate to the parody.

I found myself watching (actually not reading) the credits at the end because of all the interesting faces and smiles.
“Good bread is the most fundamentally satisfying of all foods; and good bread with fresh butter, the greatest of feasts.”

James Beard

Ken

Post by Ken » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:36 pm

I just finished watching The Happening. OMB is that a horrible movie!

I'm not sure what M. Night was thinking. It is so bad, he had to make it bad on purpose. The problem is, he either didn't go far enough or went to far. It reminded me of a poor attempt at making a Twin Peaks parody.
“Good bread is the most fundamentally satisfying of all foods; and good bread with fresh butter, the greatest of feasts.”

James Beard

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:27 pm

Just watched Elizabeth: The Golden Age.

Enjoyable to say the least.

Dave C

Post by Dave C » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:36 pm

Just finished Gone Baby Gone. Great movie but really damned depressing in the end.

palaeodave

Post by palaeodave » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:16 am

I thought Juno was brilliant.

Just got Wall-E on dvd. I saw it in the cinema when it came out. I actually welled up more than once during it. :oops:
"Science is a lot like sex. Sometimes something useful comes of it, but that’s not the reason we’re doing it" ー R Feynman

MTS

Post by MTS » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:48 pm

While passing through Walmart, they had a bin of DVDs for $5 and right on top was one called "The Weatherman". The price seemed right so I bought it. I've always liked Nicolas Cage as an actor. I think it's his sad puppy-dog eyes.

Anyway, its one of the funniest sad movies I've ever seen. I'm curious what others think about it.

palaeodave

Post by palaeodave » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:46 pm

Not seen the Weather Man but I just watched 'Lars and the Real Girl.' I don't think I'll quite be the same again.
"Science is a lot like sex. Sometimes something useful comes of it, but that’s not the reason we’re doing it" ー R Feynman

raecarrow

Post by raecarrow » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:12 am

palaeodave wrote:I just watched 'Lars and the Real Girl.' I don't think I'll quite be the same again.
I haven't seen that but I have seen 'Forgetting Sarah Marshall' that was interesting and shocking to say the least. They really didn't have to put soo much full frontal male nudity in the film. I know my guy friends said the movie was more uncomfortable then funny.
Rae

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:34 am

For the record I did see Dark Knight tonight, and I didn't hate it. It was far more effective than any of the previous franchises, and the corn was actually balanced by good performances.

Too bad Heath Ledger felt he had to do Nicholson all the way through it, though. Not that he did, but you know what I mean.
Your vantage point determines what you can see.

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:34 am

Yeah, I know what you mean.

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:29 am

Rent Errol Morris' latest outing, Standard Operating Procedure.

Be winded like you were by Jesus Camp.

Utterly amazing - and surprising in every scene. I am just stunned by the will of this film to be a document. And a bit ill.

Let the players tell it like it was, and then look at them in a new light.

Wow.

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:17 pm

The same friend who last year provided the Criterion DVD set for Seven Samurai was out this weekend and proffered Amarcord - easily Fellini's most wistful, happy, silly, nostalgic film.

And what a great film! Just chock full of weird character portraits, sexual innuendo, good acting, and general mayhem. And wonderful - deeply enjoyable - music from Nino Rota. Great stuff.

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:29 am

Ahhh. Full of roast beast and xmas whisky... Just watched Stroszek from Werner Herzog. Possibly the best xmas movie ever. The perfect antidote to It's a Wonderful Life...

Do any of you folks in Germany know this movie? 1976 is going back a bit, but Stroszek is amazing cinema.

"We've got a truck on fire, can't find the switch to turn the ski lift off, and can't stop the dancing chicken. Send an electrician.”

Just amazing. I expect it's very hard to find for rent in most places.

Ken

Post by Ken » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:15 am

We rented Tropic Thunder last night and I was pleasantly surprised. Lots of good ol' raunchy and politically incorrect humor.

James Beard

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:18 am

Yeah, watched it the other night Ken. I was pleasantly suprised too. Apart from being very funny with all sorts of parodies of other films it had some truly spectacular special effects in the combat scenes.
I thought Robert Downey Jr acted everyone else off the screen. The "Chinese Farmer with Subtitles" scene was hilarious.

Rented "Burn After Reading" too. LMAO! It has some blow your hair back shocks that you don't see coming too. Excellent stuff!

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.