Eye gouging striatas do it again

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

bslindgren

Eye gouging striatas do it again

Post by bslindgren » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:04 pm

This time it was positively gross. I noticed one of my black ruby barbs swimming around with something stuck to the side. At clsoer inspection it was the remnants of an eye!! I'll try to get some pictures later tonight. Definitely one of the less endearing habits of an otherwise wonderful fish (B. striata.
Why does my aquarium always seem too small?

mistergreen

Post by mistergreen » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:13 pm

oh man, I was thinking about getting these guys... maybe not..

bslindgren

Post by bslindgren » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:26 am

Here are some photos of the damage:

That is the male that lost his eye quite some time ago when he was small. He is now around 1.5 inches or so.

And here is the rather gruesome sight of the female that lost her right eye today:

I'm not sure if I just have one individual that is doing this, or if it is truly a species trait. Whatever it is, it's not particularly nice!

LeStat

Post by LeStat » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:02 am

Interesting, that could explain how two of my platies lost an eye!!!

Not nice!!!
250 Gallon, 8 Modesta, 2 Plec, 2 Catfish & a shoal of 17 Clown loach.

soul-hugger

Post by soul-hugger » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:27 pm

That must not be a very nice thing to find!! :(

It looks like the male in the first picture has healed over nicely. Almost remind me of the Blind Cave Tetras I have seen. Is he able to swim and eat the same as the other fish?

The second fish, the female.., will you let the eye and skin fall off, or would you take her out and trim it off before someone decides to try to have a nibble?

I have heard some loaches can be vicious, so in my study of loaches I have centred on the peaceful ones to have in my tanks until I get more experienced. I don't think I'd be quite prepared to deal with something like that. It seems to me that a lot of the botias with elongate noses are the more aggressive ones.

I sincerely hope you don't have to see that again!!

soul-hugger
Success is measured by the amount of obstacles you have overcome.

newshound

Post by newshound » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:57 pm

I have a school of hatchets each missing an eye...creepy.
One of my female dwarf rainbows also was missing an eye (RIP).
I think it is one striata.
I bought a bunch of striata from one tank at the lfs. The eye eating loach was left left in a tank for about six months at a lfs.
It didn't grow at all at the lfs (and is still tiny to this day...seemingly not growing at all).
this lfs was famous for not feeding the fish in the tanks.
so this loach prob ate eyes of other fish to survive.
I witnessed it taking an eye once so I know it has this bad habit.
drain your pool!

oilhands

Post by oilhands » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:12 pm

newshound wrote:I have a school of hatchets each missing an eye...creepy.
One of my female dwarf rainbows also was missing an eye (RIP).
I think it is one striata.
I bought a bunch of striata from one tank at the lfs. The eye eating loach was left left in a tank for about six months at a lfs.
It didn't grow at all at the lfs (and is still tiny to this day...seemingly not growing at all).
this lfs was famous for not feeding the fish in the tanks.
so this loach prob ate eyes of other fish to survive.
I witnessed it taking an eye once so I know it has this bad habit.
Stunted, hungry, and lonely. Sounds great! :roll:

Interesting fish story. Interesting fish behavior. Funny the stuff that happens at the old LFS.

Sometimes the LFS guys make me wonder. I was buying a couple Spotted Pictus Catfish the other day and one of them got one of his barbs caught in the net. Before I could even blink the LFS guy grabbed his barb and ripped it free of the net. I was stunned. Hell, I would have bought the net if he didn't want to cut him loose. Grumble grumble.
John Locke wrote:If any man err from the right way, it is his own misfortune, no injury to thee; nor therefore art thou to punish him in the things of this life because thou supposest he will be miserable in that which is to come.

bslindgren

Post by bslindgren » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:25 pm

soul-hugger wrote:That must not be a very nice thing to find!! :(

It looks like the male in the first picture has healed over nicely. Almost remind me of the Blind Cave Tetras I have seen. Is he able to swim and eat the same as the other fish?

The second fish, the female.., will you let the eye and skin fall off, or would you take her out and trim it off before someone decides to try to have a nibble?
Well, it doesn't endear the striatas to the rest of my family, that's for sure!

Both fish behave fairly normally and seem to be able to catch food etc. The male has been swimming at a slight angle, as if looking at the bottom with his only eye.

Zebra loaches are not supposed to be aggressive, but I would characterize them as 'nippy'. They definitely seem dominant over the kubotai.

I have ten that I bought all at once. So I can't blame it on a starved misfit. This was the third instance in close to a year and a half. The strange thing is that they don't necessarily target the easy-to-catch fish - like newshound's account of hatchet fish seems like an odd target for a largely bottom-dwelling loach.

Anyway, I don't want to see it again. I worry that it'll be a kubotai or clown loach one of these days. Then I'll have to make some decisions.....

soul-hugger

Post by soul-hugger » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:57 pm

It's good that the fish can live normally with just one eye. However it is hard not to worry it won't happen again! One would like to think most fish would be pretty good at avoiding such an attack, but I guess you never know. Three fish in a year and a half isn't a lot, but it's enough to give cause for concern. Strange thing is, you're probably not likely to catch the culprit in the act.

There are definitely those fish that are known to be aggressive, but then there are also those freak cases where a fish does not behave normally for its kind. With my limited experience, I don't have any advice to give as far as figuring out why it happened, or keeping it from happening again, other than the obvious extreme of separating the fish into different tanks. It's so hard to know what to do!

Hopefully someone with more experience in this area will chime in soon.

Take Care..,
soul-hugger
Success is measured by the amount of obstacles you have overcome.

bslindgren

Post by bslindgren » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:53 am

Well, if nothing else it shows that laoches are individuals!!

Sorry btw for the double post. I tried to post and got an error message, so I had to rewrite. Voila - two messages almopst the same!! Perhaps the moderators can remove the first one - I can't seem to.

jwyfk

Post by jwyfk » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:29 am

bslindgren, that's such a shame, because Striatas are cool looking fish. After reading this post, I was motivated to completely tear down my 120 gallon tank and remove all 6 Striatas to a quarantine tank. You had posted in my previous thread concerning the suspicious looking marks on my clowns:

http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php ... highlight=

We'll see if the marks heal. Of course the Striata I've seen harass the clowns is also the largest and best looking. :(

bslindgren

Post by bslindgren » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:03 pm

Too bad. I haven't given up on them yet, and I hope I haven't discouraged people from having them altogether. I would think that in a pure loach tank they may be just fine. I've never heard of them causing problems with other loaches yet, except for the possibility of your case with the clown. Today I watched my largest clown nudge a striata out of the way by pushing it vith its snout. Quite entertaining. I really do like their "personalities" and would recommend them - it may be a matter of having the "correct" dithers, or it may be that certain individuals get into this behavior. See my post under shy zebra loaches", and I'll post some pictures later tonight.

jwyfk

Post by jwyfk » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:50 am

I haven't given up on them yet, either. This is just a test to see if the clowns heal with the Striatas removed. It's a lose/lose situation no matter what happens.