largest loach help please

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Toothpik

largest loach help please

Post by Toothpik » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:47 am

my largest loach spends most of her days hiding....i dont get it... all the others are out and about swimming and playing but she dont come out at all....only to feed a little but thats it never to swim
currently-90gallon-5 rummy nose tetra,9 clown loach,3 rainbow fish, and soon 10-15 cardinal tetra.

Doc

Post by Doc » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:17 am

Thats Loaches for you. Very often the largest Loaches will hide.
So many species of fish yet so little time, space and money to keep them all...

bslindgren

Post by bslindgren » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:18 pm

Same here (clown loaches). But they become active at feeding time and off and on during the day.
Why does my aquarium always seem too small?

Toothpik

Post by Toothpik » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:09 pm

sigh thats a downer im telling you i loved it when i knew i was going to have a big loach but she never really is out and is very shy
currently-90gallon-5 rummy nose tetra,9 clown loach,3 rainbow fish, and soon 10-15 cardinal tetra.

raving_wayne

Post by raving_wayne » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:15 pm

toothpik have you got alot of hiding holes and cover? if not that will really make a difference, when i first started with clowns i had only a couple of hiding places and never saw them so i was told to add many more and my loaches do tend to come out a hell of a lot since
If Life is simple...... Why are there so many clever people about?!!!

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:18 pm

IME, lone clown loaches at an LFS will usually be shy and reclusive. That's why you should buy clown loaches in groups of 5 or more from the same supplier from the same tank. Whether they are large or small clowns, loners won't necessarily be adopted into a loach group and may always be unsocial.

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:23 pm

More hiding spots helps greatly. I have 6 ft long cave that runs from one side of the tank to the other. Clowns like to be stealthy, but when they do come out they'll always want to know where the closest hiding spot is.