New to Loaches

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

alleygatorgurl

New to Loaches

Post by alleygatorgurl » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:05 pm

Four days ago I bought 2 Botia Kubotai. I have them in a 10 gal. QT before they go to my 30 gal. for now. The LFS only had 2 of them so I decided to add more when I found them. The first night I had them they were understandably scared and therefore didn't eat. The next morning one of them was a little more adventurous, but the other stayed hidden. The next night I was at another LFS and i found a botia almorhae. This yoyo loach so adventurous right out of the bag! He was looking for food and swimming around.
Now it has been a total of four days for the kubotais and I have not seen them eat once. I have tried a variety of foods and they just ignore them. The almorhae is eating and swimming around, but the one of the kubotais stays hidden all the time!
Also, the kubotais freak out any time I move, is this common? Will they out grow this?
"And so shines a good deed in weary world" Willy Wonka

slim

Post by slim » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:15 pm

It could take a while till the kubs feel secure enough to eat. Are they showing any signs of illness: flashing on decor, rapid gill movement?

Also make sure that they have plenty of hiding spots. They will feel more secure if they know that a hiding spot is always close by. It's good that you are going to get more kubs as they are a very social fish. Five or more is a good number. Are you planning to get some buddies for the yoyo? They like friends too. :wink:

Have you tried any frozen food for them? That might coax them to eat.

slim

Post by slim » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:23 pm

Another thing:
I'm not too familiar with the yoyo loach, but I think they are a rowdier one. He may be stressing out your kubs.
And the yoyo can grow to 8 inches. He may grow too large for your 30 gallon.
Good luck. :wink:

alleygatorgurl

Post by alleygatorgurl » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:34 pm

I just picked up 2 more yoyos today.... They're still in the bag acclimating as I type! The kubs don't show any signs of illness like you mentioned, and they don't show any other kinds of visible illness or injury.

The yoyo may stress them a little but I haven't seen him go to the side of the tank with the kubs yet. The yoyo just hangs out in his little upturned pot on the left end of the tank and the kubs are crowded into a little ceramic rock lookin' thing on the right end. There are throngs of plants available for cover as well.
"And so shines a good deed in weary world" Willy Wonka

raving_wayne

Post by raving_wayne » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:34 pm

i have kubs and yoyo's together the yoyo's chase the kubs a little but thats about it they prolly just need more tie to settle mine took about 2 weeks but now they are out 99% of the time
If Life is simple...... Why are there so many clever people about?!!!

slim

Post by slim » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:38 pm

I was wrong about the yoyo size--they max out at 6 inches. It probably will just take some time for them to settle in. It's good they're not showing any signs of illness.

helen nightingale

Post by helen nightingale » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:19 pm

its good that you got more yoyos. they can be quite agressive when on their own. they are much happier when in a group, but can still be lively.

i know it can be hard in a q tank, but can you put more caves in? i find my loaches love caves as opposed to plants, unless the growth is very thick, and it is normal to see no loaches at all in the mornings. they are all snoozing in the bogwood and shady areas and you may see a barbel or tip of tail if you are lucky.

once the yoyos have settled in, hopefully the kubs will get braver. have you tried bloodworms or hikari sinking carnivore pellets? my loaches cant resist these.