North American LOL meeting?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

chefkeith

North American LOL meeting?

Post by chefkeith » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:01 pm

Anyone interested in doing a LOL meeting over here in the US? Maybe we can meet at somewhere like Atlanta (Georgia Aquarium), Chicago (Shedd Aquarium), or Chattanooga (Tennessee Aquarium).

Any suggestions?

Sometime in May, June, July, or August would be most ideal for me.

Keith Wolcott

Post by Keith Wolcott » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:54 pm

Interesting idea! We're always jealous of the meet-ups across the ocean so why not have our own. Now if Emma just had a shop over here that we could meet at, we could buy fish too. Meeting at a major aquarium is a good idea though. I have only been to Shedd once and I have not seen the others.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:25 pm

I have been to the Shedd and Georgia Aquarium. Both are very nice.
It would be fun to do that sometime, but the summers are usually very busy for me.

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:49 pm

Monterey,Ca. is awesome too http://www.mbayaq.org/

The Shedd is very cool and Chicago is an easy destination.

zmo63

Post by zmo63 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:52 pm

I love this idea.

I vote for the Chattanooga aquarium - partly because it's close to me, but it's also a great aquarium for freshwater. It even has loaches.

Of course, GA aquarium is just across from my office, so I'm down for that any time :)

I'll do my best to meet up wherever it ends up being though.

helen nightingale

Post by helen nightingale » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:08 pm

when you manange to have a meet, you must promise to take lots of pictures!

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:27 pm

I would probably prefer the Chattanooga Aquarium since I haven't been there and and its within a days drive.
I wouldn't, however, mind seeing that incredible whale shark tank at Atlanta or the white sided dolphins at the Shedd again either.

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:37 pm

zmo63 wrote: I vote for the Chattanooga aquarium - partly because it's close to me, but it's also a great aquarium for freshwater. It even has loaches.

The Georgia Aquarium is just 2 hours away from the Tennessee Aquarium. If I were to goto one, I'd might also want to goto the other since they are in close proximity. On different days of coarse.

Anytime of the year is fine with me. Just as long as I have plenty of time to plan, save some money, and make reservations. It would probably be a whole 3-4 day weekend vacation deal for me so I can relax a bit.

Barracuda518

Post by Barracuda518 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:03 pm

Jim Powers wrote:I would probably prefer the Chattanooga Aquarium since I haven't been there and and its within a days drive.
I wouldn't, however, mind seeing that incredible whale shark tank at Atlanta or the white sided dolphins at the Shedd again either.
That Whale Shark is huge. I went last summer and the tank it is in is very impressive. I sat there and watched it for about 30 minutes.

The dolphins are also cool.

I havent been to the Tenn. Aquarium since it opened, but have heard it is very nice.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:17 pm

That Whale Shark is huge. I went last summer and the tank it is in is very impressive. I sat there and watched it for about 30 minutes.
There are four Whale Sharks in that tank from 16-22ft. and they can grow to 30! So if you think they were large when you saw them, just wait.
I think I could sit there all afternoon and watch that tank. Its amazing!!

zmo63

Post by zmo63 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:20 pm

Jim Powers wrote: There are four Whale Sharks in that tank from 16-22ft. and they can grow to 30! So if you think they were large when you saw them, just wait.
I think I could sit there all afternoon and watch that tank. Its amazing!!

Jim, I got an email last week saying the Wobbegongs had pups :)

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:28 pm

Jim, I got an email last week saying the Wobbegongs had pups
Cool! 8)
Maybe that's why they were snuggling up against the viewing window when we were there. :wink:

Diana

Post by Diana » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:09 pm

Monterey Bay Aquarium!

All the others are out of my reach- too much travel. :-( They sound great, though!

(and if you get this far, Diana's fish-house)
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:30 am

Chattanooga and Atlanta are both wonderful! I really love Chattanooga. I enjoyed Atlanta too, but it was so crowded. I need to go back a few more times.

In the dead of winter (Maybe January 2010) and you want to get warm a couple days, you all should consider Tampa for a lovely aquarium (Florida Aquarium) which has a pet aquarium exhibit that is fantastic. Clown loaches, mature Yoyos, . . . and in another exhibit Penny, the otter I rescued. It is a nice aquarium because they have a large open area with free flying birds that makes you feel like you are outside but with air conditioning. The exhibit starts with freshwater surface water areas, and progresses through brackish and then salt water habitats. Not just the fish, but the reptiles, mammals and birds related to the environments. Then you can get on a boat and they do an ecotour out in the bay so you can see dolphins and birds in the wild.

Or at Busch Gardens there's a fantastic new exhibit called Jungala that includes very large Clown Loaches (with other fish, of course) and in the hippo tank thousands of wonderful cichlids.

There are many small aquariums like Mote Marine and Clearwater Marine Aquarium, which do rescues -- mostly dolphins and sea turtles. Lowry Park Zoo handles the injured manatees.

Or you all should meet up in Chattanooga, go to Atlanta, and then swing down to Tampa (only a 7 hour drive Ha Ha -- easy drive straight down I-75). :)

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:48 pm

Chattanooga seems to be the most centrally located place for those on the East Coast.
So far we have-

Tennesse Aquarium, Chattanooga
http://www.tnaqua.org/

Monterey Bay Aquarium, SF
http://www.mbayaq.org/

Shedd Aquarium, Chicago
http://www.sheddaquarium.org/

Georgia Aquarium, Atlanta
http://www.georgiaaquarium.org/

Florida Aquarium, Tampa
http://www.flaquarium.org/

Any other meeting suggestions?
Like Las Vegas, New York, or Los Angeles?

We can maybe do something on the East Coast this year, then on the West Coast next year. Then in Tampa and Chicago in the following years.

I'd really like to visit all these public aquariums in my lifetime.

Anyone want to suggest a meeting date? Summer, Fall, Winter, or Spring?