Dojo x 2 + 1 Pleco = ?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

craigH

Dojo x 2 + 1 Pleco = ?

Post by craigH » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:20 pm

Hi im mew here as you may be able to tell thus far.

I have a 25 gallon tank with 1 fan tail guppy, 1 Pleco, and 1 Golden Dojo (Weather Loach ). I have had the Dojo and the Pleco for over a year now in the same tank.

I am planning on upgrading to a bigger tank 40-60 gallon range likley. I want to get a couple more fan tail guppies, plus I would like to get another Dojo. Would it be safe to add in another Dojo? Would the Pleco, or even the original Dojo be threatening to the new Dojo?

thanks in advance any input.

raving_wayne

Post by raving_wayne » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:30 am

hiya m8 and welcome to LOL
i see no prob with your plec and your dojo would love the company, dojo's love to be in groups and the plec basically wont care

rave
If Life is simple...... Why are there so many clever people about?!!!

Ashleigh

Post by Ashleigh » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:10 am

The only slight problem that I can see is that most people keep their guppies around 78º, where as dojos recomended temp range is 50- 77º. I have read that guppies can go lower (you would need to double check this) and it would be in the best interests of your dojo to keep your tank within the above temp range. You would really need to find out what species of plec you have to see if it can tolerate the lower temp. I think commons can go within that range, but I think bristlenose need it around 76/78+

Apart from all that, add away-in the 40-60g you could do about 5/6 dojos, maybe more depending what size you go for. Just make sure you get a tank with length (4ft) as dojos are quite active at times and can get a good size. Just remember to quarantine any new additions for 2/3weeks and treat for internal parasites.

If you want to read a bit more about your dojo and recomended tank setup etc have a look at the link below :)
http://www.loaches.com/species-index/we ... licaudatus

Welcome to LOL :mrgreen: Please feel free to post pics of your dojo when you get the chance :wink:

Ashleigh

craigH

Post by craigH » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:16 pm

thanks a lot for the help....ill do a little more reading. my pleco is a common pleco, and i keep the tank at about 21 degrees celsius and all species in the tank seem to not mind the temp.

soul-hugger

Post by soul-hugger » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:22 pm

Hello, and Welcome..,

I have a 55 Gallon tank, and I keep three dojos in it, along with other fish. The Dojo Loach is one of the most peaceful types of fish. They enjoy to be in groups and mix well with other peaceful loaches. A Common Pleco can get to quite a large size, and some of them can be a bit territorial. I also have a Pleco in a tank with very peaceful fish and Kuhli loaches. He never bothers anyone as long as he has his piece of driftwood to rest on. I'm not sure how you plan to decorate your new tank, but I would highly recommend a good-size piece of driftwood for the Pleco along with other hiding spots for the Loaches. Some Pleco need to rasp on wood to supplement their diet as well as providing him with territory. My Pleco is a Clown Pleco and he eats almost nothing but the wood. At first I was very worried about him, as I have only twice ever seen him eating, but only until I realized how essential the wood is to their diet and learned how to find his poop that looks like wood to insure he is eating. If all the fish are happy at 21 Degrees, this is not too bad a temperature for the Loaches or Pleco. I keep mine at around the same temperature, bt when you get your new Guppies, be sure to acclimate them to this temperature. Perhaps while they are in Quarantine, you can slowly lower the temp over a long period of time to match that of the main tank.

Take Care.., :)
soul-hugger
Success is measured by the amount of obstacles you have overcome.