Farm Bred Clowns in FL

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

RD.

Farm Bred Clowns in FL

Post by RD. » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:15 pm

One of our chain stores here just got some some of these in from Florida last week. I had read that a couple of farms in Florida were attempting to breed clown loaches (with the use of hormones) and it appears that at least one of them is already supplying fry to the trade. At best the clowns in the photos below are 3/4", by far the smallest loaches that I have ever seen, and at the price they have them listed at I doubt they will be moving very fast. The fish in the tank next to them (barbs) are approx 1 1/2", and they look like giants next to the clown loaches. If you look closely at the second pic you can see the tiny loach down below the cherry barb. The plant in the first pic is just your average fake plant, so use the stem as a guide to their size.

David Marshall

Post by David Marshall » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:05 am

THANK YOU RD for sharing your photographs.

In the U.K. we see many young Clown loach that have been bred in both the Far East and Eastern Europe. Again it appears that hormone stimulation was used in the breeding of their parents.

Regards David

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:41 am

That price is completely ridiculous.

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:10 am

that works out around 8 1/2 quid each geezz.

mick

soul-hugger

Post by soul-hugger » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:52 am

Hi, RD..,

Those are definitely small clowns! When I saw the tag on the tank, I could tell the store is Petland, and wonder where you are from. Then I see you are from Canada. Whereabouts in Canada are you? I live near Saskatoon, and our Petland has similar ridiculous prices. They do have "Half-Price Tuesdays," but the discount only applies to their fish that are under $10. Bummer! Because my store has some beautiful Denisoni Barbs I am interested in, and they charge $58 each for them. At that price, it is a wonder if they ever sell any.

About two weeks ago, I visited one of the other pet stores in the city (locally owned, not a chain) and they as well had some unusually small clowns. They were under 1" for sure. Next time I go, I should ask the owner if they are from the same supplier. I was very tempted to buy them, but that would surely lead to another Large Tank, ad I'm not sure I can afford it at the moment! :lol:

Take Care,
thanks for sharing!
soul-hugger
Success is measured by the amount of obstacles you have overcome.

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:27 am

soul hugger, i talk to a lad who keeps/kept corys who lives in saskatoon, he belongs to the fish society there as well, his name is Adam Rivett.
you know him?. if so give him my regards.

mick

RD.

Post by RD. » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:19 pm

Oh c'mon Martin, that's a fair price for baby clowns, isn't it? :lol:

soul hugger - I'm in Red Deer AB, and yes, you nailed the chain store.

bslindgren

Post by bslindgren » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:52 pm

It's ridiculous to sell clowns at that size. Not surprising for Petland. They bring in some nice fish once in a while, but their prices are completely off the chart.
Why does my aquarium always seem too small?

RD.

Post by RD. » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:45 pm

I should probably watch my P&Q's as I am a supplier for Petland, but let's just say that I think it's fair to state that the vast majority of Petland shoppers won't even understand what the F1 designation stands for. :wink:

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:47 pm

they won't but we do. :lol:

mick

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:37 pm

Just got back from a 3 shop visit and saw similar Clown babies for CDN$ 1.99!!!!!!!

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

RD.

Post by RD. » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:49 pm

I guess for those stores a 150% mark up was adequate. :D

soul-hugger

Post by soul-hugger » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:05 pm

Hello..,

Mick, I'm sorry I do not know your friend, but if I ever meet him, I will surely send him your Best Wishes.

RD, with all the "chain-store bashing" we have going on here, I must say whenever I have bought fish from Petland, the water quality was excellent, and the fish were, and are still, very healthy. With that I have been impressed. If the extra money paid ensures the fish come from a top-quality supplier and goes to their excellent care, perhaps it is worth it.

Martin, you know how the saying goes, about how everything is bigger in Texas? I think that should apply to Ontario, too. To compare our prices over here with yours, would just be unfair! :lol:

soul-hugger

soul-hugger
Success is measured by the amount of obstacles you have overcome.

namal kamalgoda

Post by namal kamalgoda » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:48 am

RD. wrote:won't even understand what the F1 designation stands for. :wink:
Out of curiosity what does F1 stand for? I live in Sri Lanka and have never walked into a Pet land store.

Gary Stanton

Post by Gary Stanton » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:10 am

namal kamalgoda wrote:
RD. wrote:won't even understand what the F1 designation stands for. :wink:
Out of curiosity what does F1 stand for? I live in Sri Lanka and have never walked into a Pet land store.
Wild caught fish have a designation of F0. F1 would be first generation of F0 fish which are captive bred.
"Beware of the fish people, they are the true enemy."
-- Frank Zappa, speech to a pro-choice rally in Los Angeles around 1989-90