Hello - and an interesting Clown story

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Aaandyyy

Hello - and an interesting Clown story

Post by Aaandyyy » Tue May 12, 2009 2:41 pm

Hello people

Just a quick background for you, have been keeping all manner of fish for many, many years now and various loaches are amongst those. I'm very lucky to have a family, including the kids, that are also interested in fish or at least very understanding. Consequently I have a good number of large aquariums from 300 litre capacity to 2200.

In the largest aquarium I have about 25 to 30 Clowns ranging from 12cm to about 25cm although to be fair it is difficult to tell for sure through 19mm glass - most fish turn out to be bigger than I estimate them though.

The water in this one is soft with pH at 6.5, very high flow rates via 6 external filters and additional internals and power pumps, all facing the same way to create a good flow. Much bogwood and tunnels but very little plant life. Lighting is dim.

About a month ago my eldest kept saying I have a baby fish. Being a teenager, her interest in fish is very limited at the best of times but she kept on about it. Eventually I had a look and saw what she meant, a young Clown of about 4 or 5cm. Despite much searching I have only seen one other of this size. Now the thing is, the smallest I have ever bought is 10cm as some of the other inhabitants may prove a problem for them.

I believe I'm right in this having only happened once in a similar manner. I don't know, apart from a lot of sparring about 6 months ago I haven't seen anything of any significance and certainly not seen any young. However, about 3 months ago I did lose 5 of my large Datnioides pulcher and despite veterinary assistance and great expense, no cure or even diagnosis could be found. Could it possibly be that they had found the young and eaten them, the young getting stuck in their guts?

I've no idea what rate Clown fry grow at, would these sizes tie in with this theory?

Interesting one eh! Look forward to hearing some thoughts.

Cheers, Andy

palaeodave

Post by palaeodave » Tue May 12, 2009 3:40 pm

http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php?t=18114

Looks like news of you made it to the forums before you yourself turned up!

I'm sure we'd all love to see more pictures of your tank.
"Science is a lot like sex. Sometimes something useful comes of it, but that’s not the reason we’re doing it" ー R Feynman

Aaandyyy

Post by Aaandyyy » Tue May 12, 2009 3:58 pm

Been meaning to join for years.

I'll get some pictures sorted over the weekend. Trouble is, it's already going to be hard to part with them so not too much interest please!

BotiaMaximus

Post by BotiaMaximus » Tue May 12, 2009 5:30 pm

If they were on this side of the pond I would build a Loach Taj Mahal for them! What a beautiful group of Clowns!

I'm sure you will find an impeccably qualified person on this forum to give them a good home.

Best of Luck.
"Long May You Loach"