My First Pictures!

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Thu May 14, 2009 12:55 pm

BotiaMaximus wrote: ** Cone Feeders and Dojos don't work so good - the Dojo's go right over the top and into the thing and hoover down all the food leaving all their tankmates to go hungry! - Weasels!! Then they take a nap in it!
I laughed outloud reading this. HeeHee. My Dojos would do just that. :) I had no idea how clever, acrobatic they are, until one got into my floating fry tank, and cleaned me out. It never occured to me that the Dojos would be interested. Mine love to lounge.

FishyLady

Post by FishyLady » Thu May 14, 2009 1:25 pm

BotiaMaximus wrote:
I'm very pleased it gave you some ideas - your Clowns need buddies.

Keith
Yes, I agree, apart from when I turn the tank light out I hardly ever see them.

Val

BotiaMaximus

Post by BotiaMaximus » Fri May 15, 2009 12:03 am

Val,

You might want to make sure you don't have too bright of a lighting set up going as well. I use the standard old style florescent type bulbs. A single bulb 48" on my 75 gallon. This isn't good if you are trying for live plants however. But for fish only the Loaches will be much happier.

The new compact bulbs (T5, 10,000K and the others) are super bright! I think they are too much.

My Loaches also equate the light coming on with food!!! Then it stays on for the day and they stay out all day. It takes them a while to settle in, but they will.
"Long May You Loach"

raving_wayne

Post by raving_wayne » Fri May 15, 2009 2:30 am

val the cone feeder is readily available in kent but its called a live worm feeder for some reason, if your in surrey you could well be reasonably close to polhills garden centre which has a maidenhead aquatics in it they sell them at a reasonable price think its about £2.50 but you should find that any LFS pretty much sells them, if you can get one let me know and ill forward one down to you i have about 8 here lol

rave
If Life is simple...... Why are there so many clever people about?!!!

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Fri May 15, 2009 2:49 am

Rave, the cone feeder was made for tubifex worms so the fish could pick what they wanted but the worms stayed in the cone for a long period.
with loach feeding i just scatter the worms across the surface of the water so all the fish can get some, there's not much hope of the worms gong to far down in the gravel as botia will dig them out plus spiney eels.

mick
never take people at face value.

BotiaMaximus

Post by BotiaMaximus » Fri May 15, 2009 6:52 am

They do work well on the frozen Brine Shrimp too. I really like the Spirulina Brine and I can put them in the Cone Feeder and not have to shut down any pumps.

When I have Bloodworms in the cone I usually give the cone a few shakes to set some free so the boys will have something to go rooting around for later on.

IME I still stink they are good overall for keeping excess to a minimum.
"Long May You Loach"