Silver dollars as tankmates

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

FishyLady

Silver dollars as tankmates

Post by FishyLady » Thu May 21, 2009 1:04 pm

Hi,
In our LFS they have medium sized clowns in a tank with silver dollars, there is a huge bubble wall at the back of the tank and they all seem very happy!! :D
Has made me start thinking that silver dollars would make very good tankmates, has anyone else got these in with their loaches?

Val

Diana

Post by Diana » Thu May 21, 2009 2:04 pm

I have not kept SD because of their reputation as plant eaters.
I do know that there are several fish sold with that common name. Do you know which ones you are looking at? Some get significantly larger than others.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

raving_wayne

Post by raving_wayne » Thu May 21, 2009 2:08 pm

hiya
i have silver dollars in a 5ftx2ftx2ft with 20 clowns and have had no probs as yet my silvers are about 3inches at the mo but im watching for any signs of aggression towards either silvers or clowns, in general the 3 silvers i have just hang out together and the clowns tend to use them as dithersif the silvers are up the from of the tank the loaches tend to come out alot more

rave
If Life is simple...... Why are there so many clever people about?!!!

FishyLady

Post by FishyLady » Thu May 21, 2009 4:59 pm

Diana wrote:I have not kept SD because of their reputation as plant eaters.
I do know that there are several fish sold with that common name. Do you know which ones you are looking at? Some get significantly larger than others.
I believe they are Schreitmullers Metynnis, they only get to about 5" in size, I have 4 of these in with my synodontis and they seem to be very peaceful fish.

Val

bigpow

I had them

Post by bigpow » Thu May 21, 2009 10:27 pm

I had 5 of them from 1" size to about 3", when I returned them to my LFS
If I had a bigger tank then, I'd have kept them.
They were amazing - only drawback was they're quite jumpy and when panic, bring chaos to the whole tank

FishyLady

Re: I had them

Post by FishyLady » Fri May 22, 2009 1:05 pm

bigpow wrote: only drawback was they're quite jumpy and when panic, bring chaos to the whole tank
That is very true unfortunately, but it must be their only downside because they are such peaceful fish in every other way.

Val

raving_wayne

Post by raving_wayne » Fri May 22, 2009 2:16 pm

mine are not jumpy at all they are very peacefull
If Life is simple...... Why are there so many clever people about?!!!

michael

Post by michael » Tue May 26, 2009 1:57 am

I've got a small school of silver dollars in with a small school of clown loaches. In many ways they seem similar and compatible fish. They seem to get along rather well and I believe enjoy similar water parameters. They also both seem rather prone to ich.

SD are very much a schooling fish. They should probably also be kept in groups to see them really come out and relax (much like clowns, just that they have a different idea of "relax" and "cruise"). They could also use the presence of a third placid/dither fish. The SD will (like loaches) observe what other fish are doing and react accordingly. In my own case a group of 3 gouramis (3spot) seem to be the anchor in this respect as they're always out and calm. The SD school around together in the middle/upper parts of the tank and only go down to the bottom with the loaches when I've got an arm in the tank messing with stuff.

SD are very hard on plants, plan accordingly. My original tank (no loaches or SD!) is heavily planted. I'm frequently able to take cuttings and stick them with the loaches/SD. My SD will eat anything, but prefer some things more than others. A leaf of lettuce each day spares most of the things in the tank. Just experiment if possible to find what works for the individuals you end up with.

SD also grow into sizable fish. :)

Don't let me endorse anything too much (ie take the advice of someone more experienced than me if it conflicts). My case study of a single tank is only so useful.

FishyLady

Post by FishyLady » Tue May 26, 2009 1:01 pm

They do seem to enjoy similar tank conditions i.e. the silver dollars are quite happy with a lot of movement in the tank. Gouramis don't like a lot of movement which is why I decided against keeping those in with my clowns. The silver dollars though are definitely still a possibility, they are such gentle fish I have found.

Val