different patterns in almorhae

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

mickthefish

different patterns in almorhae

Post by mickthefish » Wed May 27, 2009 4:57 pm

out of all the botias this species has to be the most varied in the patterns we get.
here's a few of mine.
and the wierdest one i have.
if you have a wierd patterend one put them up to show how varied they are. :wink:

mick
never take people at face value.

BotiaMaximus

Post by BotiaMaximus » Wed May 27, 2009 6:51 pm

Pic 4 with the eel - that's a real beauty Mick! And your last pic of the weirdest looks like it went through the pattern stamper sideways! :D

Great shots!
"Long May You Loach"

Diana

Post by Diana » Wed May 27, 2009 10:36 pm

Mine were mostly the YOYO pattern when young, but one was reticulated much younger than the others. Now they are changing to the more complex adult pattern I am amazed how the patterns are different on the left and right sides of the same fish!
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Thu May 28, 2009 6:10 am

Diana, the tank these come from at my mates shop i can honestly say there was not one fish with the yoyo pattern and there had to be a minimum of 200 fish there, i was spoilt for choice but i got as many different ones as i could see.
my mate Neils lucky in having an Indian exporter who knows what we want. :D
going back to when i first started this great hobby/job the only almorhae you could find all had the yoyo markings, i'm sure i had one in my first setup. :wink:

mick

David Marshall

Post by David Marshall » Thu May 28, 2009 6:18 am

Hey Mick

Nice photographs.

Regards David

helen nightingale

Post by helen nightingale » Thu May 28, 2009 2:12 pm

you have some beauties there Mick.

one of my new ones also looks like he went through the stamper sideways - i will have to get the camera out again.

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Thu May 28, 2009 2:36 pm

thanks Hels, i thought you'd like em as your an almorhae fan.
yeah get a pic of yours please.

mick

helen nightingale

Post by helen nightingale » Thu May 28, 2009 7:38 pm

i tested out the camera on my mobile on a couple of my new ones:

the boldest female

the boldest male. he wil be a right tart, and will give one of my other males a run for his money for dancing for food, when this one moves into the main tank.

sorry for the crap pictures. the male is normally very pale, as far as i have been able to tell. the other two are not so bold, so more pictures wil have to wait, and i will try for more of the others

BotiaMaximus

Post by BotiaMaximus » Thu May 28, 2009 9:08 pm

I take it these are the now famous BBQ Almorhae?? They are looking good!

Nice planted tank. :D

Is it a rimless tank (as in just glass and silicone)??
"Long May You Loach"

helen nightingale

Post by helen nightingale » Thu May 28, 2009 9:40 pm

yes, they are the BBQ loaches. i havent got round to taking recent ones of the others yet

the males inherited my dwarf cory tank as a q tank, the females are in my normal q tank. they are both in rimless tanks, but one of them has a plastic bit tacked on to hold the lid in place. why were you wondering if it's a rimless tank? should i be worrying?

plaalye

Post by plaalye » Thu May 28, 2009 10:04 pm

Beautiful fish Mick & Helen!

These were taken at a GSAS(Seattle aquarium club) auction last year. I had no place to put the fish at the time and snapped a few quick shots after it was bought. Something like $6.00 if I remember right? I had never seen a "yoyo" like this and questioned whether it really was. I stopped at a prominent Seattle fish shop on the way home and there was a tank full of the same fish. They were big (4-6 in.) and beautiful! But, I had no place for them. I don't know if that's blood in the bag or what? It seems that there was a reddish hue to the fins

BotiaMaximus

Post by BotiaMaximus » Thu May 28, 2009 10:09 pm

helen nightingale wrote:why were you wondering if it's a rimless tank? should i be worrying?
I doubt you need to be worried at all. I've just never seen one before. The rim is supposed to have absolutely nothing to do with the strength of the tank, but I have never seen one in the States. I don't think we're ready for them yet. I'm quite liberal, but I wouldn't be able to sleep without the plastic rim top and bottom that does nothing being there to make me feel better. My 1 piece molded acrylic has a rim!
"Long May You Loach"

helen nightingale

Post by helen nightingale » Thu May 28, 2009 10:29 pm

i will take a photo of the bracing around the top of my main tank for you - it had better not go anywhere

BotiaMaximus

Post by BotiaMaximus » Thu May 28, 2009 10:41 pm

helen nightingale wrote:i will take a photo of the bracing around the top of my main tank for you - it had better not go anywhere
It isn't going anywhere. I'm sure it's fine. Did you make it, or buy it??

Here is a link to a neat aquarium builder page - type in the dimensions for a tank and choose glass and it will show you the complete directions for how to assemble one - supposedly correctly. You could compare your tanks construction to the ones listed.

http://www.garf.org/tank/buildtank.asp
"Long May You Loach"

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Fri May 29, 2009 4:46 am

Keith ya soft tart man, :lol:
most tanks we buy are this type of aqariums even the big ones, the most they have is a black tape at the top to hide the bracing.
piggy4 has an 8x1.5x2 ft tank built like that, my largest is a 6x2x1.5 ft.

mick