So..setting up a hillstream tank at last

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

palaeodave

Post by palaeodave » Sat May 16, 2009 9:40 am

Ah we're not too worried about it at all. Snails and shrimp eat the stuff, as do plecs and otos etc (although we won't have any of those in this tank, which is why there's any fungus in the first place). I don't know if any hillies are known to eat biofilms...
"Science is a lot like sex. Sometimes something useful comes of it, but that’s not the reason we’re doing it" ー R Feynman

BotiaMaximus

Post by BotiaMaximus » Sat May 16, 2009 10:33 am

That's reassuring. I had thought that fungus should be considered as potentially toxic. And also capable of rapidly getting out of control so you had to react in panic mode.

Thanks for the info!
"Long May You Loach"

Ded1

Post by Ded1 » Sat May 16, 2009 11:14 am

dave, i can see u use juwel power heads? how strong they are? I know the most powerful they have is 1500 l/h.

palaeodave

Post by palaeodave » Sat May 16, 2009 12:24 pm

We actually went with the Resun SP-2500L internal power filters that madDuff recommended on the first page of this thread. (The ebay page linked to doesn't exist anymore.) I'm not sure exactly what the turnover is on them, as I doubt it's 2500ltr/hr!
"Science is a lot like sex. Sometimes something useful comes of it, but that’s not the reason we’re doing it" ー R Feynman

Aaandyyy

Post by Aaandyyy » Mon May 18, 2009 4:59 pm

Any updates on this one?

With Mopani wood like that I use stainless screws through some acrylic sheet and the acrylic gets laid on the bottom of the tank and then the gravel on top. You may get some white fungus growing from it as it absorbs the water, I clean it with a scrubbing brush just before water changes and have seen no detriment to the fish. Eventually this will stop happening.

palaeodave

Post by palaeodave » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:47 am

All the fungus has disappeared, probably under the action of over 40 baby cherry shrimp and rather a lot of snails.

Count the shrimpies!

KhuliKhilla

Post by KhuliKhilla » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:48 pm

:o

we went up to Enfield yesterday to see if the maidenhead there had the P. ctenocephalatus still. sadly they didnt. went to Wildwoods to see what they had and we cleared them out of some of thier leftovers.

walked out with

2 x H. confuzona
1 x Mesonoemacheilus triangularis
1 x other Mesonoemacheilus-ish contaminant
2 x hillies we are still trying to ID. they are rather small and look like juvenille gastros or pseudogastros.

pics coming very soon!!!

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:30 pm

Pictures? 8)

ch.koenig

Post by ch.koenig » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:32 pm

yes we love pictures :D

palaeodave

Post by palaeodave » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:10 pm

I have to say, I'm really quite disappointed. My photographs are never that great but we just couldn't get decent shots of the new fish. Didn't try for long out of frustration so maybe we'll get better luck later on.

Mesonemacheilus triangularis

Unknown (to us)

Homaloptera confuzona (I hope - don't think it's H. orthogoniata)

Unknown (to us) hilly

A bit rubbish but hopefully enough to get some ID's.

palaeodave

Post by palaeodave » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:00 pm

We put some live brineshrimp in there. One of the H. confuzona looks paler and skinnier than the other, so we'll be keeping an eye on that.

That's the skinny one. The other is much better looking.

Jumping up to get the food!

....I'm starting to think it's a young Pseudogastromyzon cheni.

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:12 pm

Yeah and Mesonoemacheilus guentheri.

Neat!

palaeodave

Post by palaeodave » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:21 pm

Cheers! We're still after P. ctenocephalus but we're quite happy with what we have for now. The species profile doesn't mention if M. guentheri needs company or not...

palaeodave

Post by palaeodave » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:41 am

The skinny Homaloptera has died. Not altogether surprising. The zodiac loach is taking on much bigger cherry shrimp than I had imagined it would! :shock:

BotiaMaximus

Post by BotiaMaximus » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:32 pm

Looking good Dave! Sorry about your skinny - but as you said, that's an assumed risk. The tank looks great and that driftwood has cleaned up nice.

Congrats on a very well thought out setup! :D
"Long May You Loach"