Where to get Clown Loaches

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Tracey

Where to get Clown Loaches

Post by Tracey » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:07 pm

I was wondering if anyone knew where I could order clown loaches from? I can not find any around 4" plus. I have a large aquarium with 3 clown loaches already and would like to add 3 more.
I have been ready up on diseases and wondered if someone could explain how to tell skinny disease from internal parasites. I do not have this problem and have not had ick yet but would like to be more prepared for it if it happens. I have alot of info on ick so info on the skinny disease and parasites would be helpful. :?:

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:35 pm

There really is no such thing as skinny disease, it's just a misuse of wording. Skinny, like emaciation, is just a symptom of a possible internal infection, either bacterial or parasitic. Most people just call that skinny disease though.

It's easiest to treat for internal parasites when you 1st get the fish. When they become emaciated, it is sometimes too late. Prophylatic treatments of praziquantel and levamisole is a very effective preventative.

Internal bacterial infections are usually the result of poor water quality or internal injuries caused from osmotic shock. Osmotic shock is when water chemistry changes are too sudden for the fish to acclimate to. This usually happens when fish are moved from one tank to another, like when you buy a fish from the LFS and put it in your tank. It can also happen when a large water change is done, where the tap water chemistry doesn't match the tank water. A TDS meter reading is probably the easiest way tell if the water chemistry matches. KH and GH test kits will also help determine the water chemistry.

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:49 pm

You can usually find someone selling 4" + clown loaches at Aquabid.com

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/ ... fwcatfishl

bigpow

post an ad at a local forum or craigslist or special order

Post by bigpow » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:26 pm

If I were you, I'd start with my local areas.
Craigslist, local forums, etc.
Then work my way towards trustworthy local fish stores, ask them for special orders.
Then, when all fails, resorts to online methods.

raving_wayne

Post by raving_wayne » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:56 pm

what area/country you in?
If Life is simple...... Why are there so many clever people about?!!!

Tracey

Post by Tracey » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:17 pm

Thanks. That helps alot. I've tried all the aquariums in my area. They are not able to get them therre but I did order 2 from aquariumfish.net. They were in great condition when I got them and was very pleased with them. I gave them banana yesterday. Turns out that my black ghost knife fish likes it more and quickly gobbled down all of it. LOL!

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:58 pm

Great job with choosing aquariumfish.net. I'm a fan of The Bailey Brothers and their internet talk show called Pet Fish Talk. The Bailey's really care about fish and know their stuff. I've thought about ordering fish from them before, but haven't yet.

Keith Wolcott

Post by Keith Wolcott » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:13 pm

Tracey- You might consider buying the 2 inch to 3 inch clowns that are often available and just growing them out. Five months ago in February I added three 2.5 inch clowns to my four that were about 3.5 inches. Since then I can no longer tell the smaller ones from the larger ones since they are all about 4 to 4.5 inches now. They grow pretty fast. Just a thought.

Keith Wolcott

Post by Keith Wolcott » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:14 pm

Tracey- Now I looked back again and I see that you already found some. Good job.

Tracey

Post by Tracey » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:06 am

I noticed that the smallest of my 3 clowns is showing signs of wasting away. He is just slightly showing signs. I fear it may be a parasites. I have read up on the medications and the only one I can get a hold of is Prazipro. I will have to put adding new fish on hold till this is taken care of. My other fish seem fine. I have a Black Ghost Knife fish, a Yoyo loach, red tail botia loach and 2 australian sharks. My tank is 75gallons. I checked my water quality and all is well but the hardness isnt quite ideal but not bad. :cry: The other 2 loaches are twice the size of the one that is wasting. He is eating well. No discoloration in his gills or elsewhere.

Tracey

Post by Tracey » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:27 pm

I have been treating my tank with pimafix and melafix for what I thought was a bacteria infection in another fish. The clown fish that looked like he was wasting away looks much better! :D

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:27 pm

That was a fast recovery.

Mr_Woodchuck

Post by Mr_Woodchuck » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:30 pm

If you anywhere near the South East suburbs of Melbourne Australia, one of the best shops for fish, especially rare exotics and ones most local aquariums don't seem to keep, is Amazing Amazon, they have a massive selection of all ranges for fresh water tropical, Cichlid and marine fish. As far as loaches go they have a decent selection mostly and seem to be cheaper then most dedicated aquariums and the sizes tend to range from 1" up to 3" for slightly more mature fish.

Tracey

Post by Tracey » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:12 am

I think he must have had it before but wasnt noticable. Then that line appeared and is now starting to fill back in but I dont think im out of the woods yet. :wink: