Backup in case of power failure

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

birddancer

Backup in case of power failure

Post by birddancer » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:00 am

I'm in Australia and I was just wondering if in the case of a power failure is there anything I can do to help my two tanks survive? Short of buying a generator that is. Are there any battery powered heaters or pumps you can buy just to keep the tank oxygenated and warm for a couple of hours if need be?

newshound

Post by newshound » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:28 pm

the batteries to run an airpump would be small and simple.
batteries to run a heater...esh...better buy a generator ;)
drain your pool!

birddancer

Post by birddancer » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:26 pm

Thanks Newshound. That's what I was worried about. I guess I'll have to look into a generator. :roll:

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:39 pm

I think it would depend on how cool you expect your tanks to get.
Do you have many power outages?
What is your typical house temperature?
If your house doesn't cool down much, I would just go with the battery operated air pumps. I have several and they are well worth having in case of emergency.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:50 pm

We have lots of power outages during the summer due to electrical storms and once in a while hurricanes (cross my fingers those don't come). I have lots of battery operated air pumps.

I don't worry about temperature too much. I am always trying to cool my tanks. I think people use blankets and towels to keep a tank warm, if the power outage is only an hour or two.

Gary Stanton

Post by Gary Stanton » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:25 pm

Unless you live where it snows like I do temp is a non issue. Now here two weeks no power in the winter happened before. Will it happen again? I have a generator. Batteries would be fine most of the time.
"Beware of the fish people, they are the true enemy."
-- Frank Zappa, speech to a pro-choice rally in Los Angeles around 1989-90

birddancer

Post by birddancer » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:45 am

I live in a very flat undeveloped semi-rural part of Melbourne, Australia. We get high squally winds which bring down power lines alot, although to their credit they always restore power within an hour or two. The house is temperature controlled at 21 degrees at all times.

It's a relief to know that my babies shouldnt die if the power is off for less than 2 hours but I will still invest in a battery powered air pump for both tanks. And i'll cover the tank with towels etc.

Thanks all.