labored breathing

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

lopinto

labored breathing

Post by lopinto » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:19 pm

My dojo has been very healthy and has had no problems. It is about 9 years old. We have recently changed the tank - to a much better size and environment, but there has been a low level of nitrates which is getting lower but not completely resolved yet.

I"m wondering what the life expectancy is of these guys, so maybe it's old age, or is the low level of nitrates finally getting him sick?

Diana

Post by Diana » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:28 pm

Low level of nitrAtes is common in an aquarium, and generally not stressful, as long as it is under 20 ppm.
NitrItes are very stressful and could sure lead to labored breathing.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

lopinto

Labored breathing

Post by lopinto » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:48 pm

No nitrites...I took a little water out of the tank and the biowheel started moving a lot faster and there was much more splash/flow. He perked up right away and has been active until now...he even ate heartily. Now he's doing it again. That's why I'm curious if anyone knows what the lifespan of the average dojo is. Mine is about 9 years old...

Diana

Post by Diana » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:40 am

I know they are considered long lived, but I do not know what that life span is.

That he perked up when the water flow increased suggests that there may be a gas exchange problem. Perhaps adding a power head or air bubbler can help move a little more water, so increase the rate at which oxygen is circulated and CO2 removed from the tank.

We have had quite a heat wave this past week. Is the tank warmer than usual?
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!