A happy ich story!

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

tender

A happy ich story!

Post by tender » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:48 pm

Just wanted to share this little story.

2 weeks ago I got a major outburst of ich in my q-tank. Totally my own fault, (but never mind that :oops: ).

Anyway; in the tank there were 6 clowns, 2 striatas and 2 newly purchased kubs (the reasons for the outburst). Because of work I couldn`t monitor the tank as closely as I would like, and I discovered the Ich much to late. I came home one night and discovered that all the Clowns (none of the others) had a severe case of Ich. I promptly started medicating with Esha Exit, which is the best med we have available in Norway. (It`s active ingridient is Malachite Green). I`ve had Ich once before and that cured the fish in 2 days. Next day I checked the tank and the Clowns were much worse. On third day of medication (this is a 3 day cure) the fish looked beyond any hope. There was more ich visible than yellow/black colour on the Clowns. And one fish was gasping in surface for air, despite 2 airstones and filter splashing the surface like crazy. Getting desperate at this point! Thinking I might have gotten a case of the new multi-resistent Ich :x :x I realized that I hadn`t done a gravel vac and promptly performed A THOROUGH one, and decided to keep up the treatment, despite the manufactures recommendations. Next day: :D :D 25-30% of the ich was gone! And the day after, 75-80%. On the third day all spots were gone and they have now been ich free for a week... The point of this little story is that it IS possible to defeat severe Ich, and much more so: BE VERY THOROUGH PERFORMING GRAVEL VACS! This is of course common knowledge for the more experienced Loach keeper, but it could be worth stressing this factor in the Sticky :wink: Also; I highly recommend Esha Exit as medication. It is completely filter safe and it works :D I might also add that Esha Exit is available online for instance here: http://www.plymouthdiscus.co.uk/product ... 7337c9245a and in many other online shops.

Kind regards
Marius
Last edited by tender on Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:08 pm

That sounds excellent. Really amazing. I think the vacuuming is key, because you can only kill the ick when it falls off the fish. Nice to hear good news.

tender

Post by tender » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:14 pm

Yeah! I was quite amazed myself. It was kind of a fishy version of Lazarus comeback :lol: I`ve never seen such a bad case of Ich ever before. Either personally or in pictures.

LoachOrgy

Post by LoachOrgy » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:18 pm

thats great. ive had a few ich outbreaks when i first got my clowns. i battled it two times and had success because i half dosed the tank with meds and increased the temp. also vaccumed all the gravel. followed the directions on this site and it worked perfect!

it cleared up. ive maybe seen one spot on one loach since then and that was several years ago. and the spot im not even sure if it was ich.
All your loaches are belong to me!

tender

Short update

Post by tender » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:35 pm

Just a short update to say that all Clowns are still totally free of Ich :D :D And very healthy and good looking. GRAVEL VAC is the thing, folks :wink: