Behaviour during treatment

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

KieronP

Behaviour during treatment

Post by KieronP » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:38 pm

Hello
I have a question about the behaviour of my clown loaches during treatment for Ich that i hope you maybe able to help me with.

Four days ago i noticed that a few tetras and my clown loaches had a few whitespots. I have successfully treated Ich before (Not on loaches, I have lost three large loaches to Ich) so I started to increase the temp and added medication at full dose. Five hours later I did a 50% water change and dosed the new water at 50% of full dose. Two days later I did another water change of around 30% and dosed the clean water at 50% again, by this time the tank was at 80 degrees F. As expected, the loaches have more whitespots now than they did on Sunday but I expect them to drop off soon BUT the behaviour of the loaches is making me think that they will not make it to be spot free, they (two of them) are lying perfectly still on top of each other behind a piece of driftwood, they do move if the wood is disturbed but if left to their own devices they will stay perfectly still. To look at that do not seem to be too bad, they still have their colour and look generally healthy.

I guess my question is whether it is the Ich , the meds or the heat making them sick? Should I do a water change without any medication , should I drop the heat? I am concerned about making the wrong decision and hastening their demise. The Red tailed shark is also looking very poorly but he is whitespot free and I think he just is not enjoying the heat.

What would you do in this situation?

Many thanks

Kieron

KieronP

Post by KieronP » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:03 pm

HI again
after posting my last post I looked back and read a post that I made in 2007. I was surprised to notice the similarities and realised that the loaches got ill after the medication was added. Once I got home today I checked and the 2 fish were motionless at the back of the tank looking very sorry for themselves and my wife tells me that they had hardly moved all day. I decided to change the water again and did another 30% change with water of a lower temp than the 80 F, I decided not to medicate this water.

The change is nothing short of astounding, the loaches are up and swimming around and although they have not eaten they are looking for food. They are still poorly with Ich though and I am going to manage that with frequent water changes and low doses of the medication.

I will let you know how I get on.

tender

Post by tender » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:03 pm

What is the active ingredient in the med you are using? Do you perform thorough vacuum cleanings?

Kind regards
Marius Podolski