Worms

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

andyroo

Worms

Post by andyroo » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:16 pm

Folks,
I managed to get a (massive) sample of red-wriggler earth-worms from ministry of agriculture the other day. Trying to generate a population for fish (loach) food, of course.
Two problems:
a) loaches don't seem to recognize the worms as food. They look, they might taste a bit even, but the majority of the worms dig their way into the gravel unharmed. Any suggestions on forcing the learning curve? Serpae and paradise fish don't seem to have any qualms.
b) these worms should drown in the gravel, no? As such, they shouldn't go into the gravel if it's underwater, yes? Will they croak and rot? Are red-wrigglers particularly good in well oxygenated water/gravel? I've found what looked a lot like one/some in the gravel some years ago when i took the tank apart....

I'm crossing my fingers that the bigger Y. modesta are getting the job done in the evening. The bottom is looking more churned up then usual.

A
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

piggy4

Post by piggy4 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:47 pm

I feed earth worms and the fish/loached love them :!:

I find the best way to feed them is to put some in a plastic beaker and chop them into small pieces using a pair of scissors , your fish will really come into condition !

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:56 pm

I have a new culture of red wigglers to try. Should I purge the worms a few days in damp newspaper? I did feed a couple of the white young ones, just rinsed the dirt off them. I've seen yes & no :?

plaalye

Post by plaalye » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:08 pm

My botias fight over them! I do like Piggy said, cut them up with scissors and rinse them in a small container, in they go. I have to use a turkey baster to get them down past the big bedotia & labiobarbus.
Last edited by plaalye on Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gary Stanton

Post by Gary Stanton » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:35 am

Run the worms through a Slap Chop.
"Beware of the fish people, they are the true enemy."
-- Frank Zappa, speech to a pro-choice rally in Los Angeles around 1989-90

Diana

Post by Diana » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:33 am

Worms do eat dirt, and some are raised in beds of manure. Not pure manure, but a large enough amount that it might be a good idea to purge them.
I would try feeding them things like green leafy vegetables, and similar things. Then, when the fish eat the worms they will get the benefit of the vegetables, too.
If you want to keep the worm culture going then feed them pretty much all the plant based kitchen waste. Finely chop or puree it so they can eat it before fungus moves in.

My fish grab the worms before the worms can hit the bottom of the tank, so I have no hints on how to tell the fish that worms are food.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

newshound

Post by newshound » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:59 pm

gary that is funny
I am listening to that remixed video!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWRyj5cH ... re=related
drain your pool!

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:44 am

I think I missed the worms in that mix newshound.

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.