Pics of my (Puntius denisoni) redline torpedo barb

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

clint

Pics of my (Puntius denisoni) redline torpedo barb

Post by clint » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:36 am

Here is my trio and few other nice shots of this cool fish. Not an easy fish to photograph.

zenins

Post by zenins » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:11 am

Very nice :)

I like how you were able to capture the green sheen on the upper body.
Yes, not easy to photograph, I have a group of 5 in a 100 gallon tank, and I still don't have a good photo of them :wink:
Zenin

clint

Post by clint » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:54 am

Thanks yes i know how hard they are to photograph, or so my back tells me. With the flash on i got more of that gold tone, with the flash off i got a more real world look to them, like the last pic. They are quite a bit bigger these days and the redline has extended further down their flank, but the fins which didn't have much color still don't sadly.

loachmom

Post by loachmom » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:14 am

I've often admired these beautiful fish at my lfs. Unfortunately, their price tag is out of my reach.:(
A person's a person no matter how small.
Dr. Seuss

clint

Post by clint » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:24 am

Mine too:D , but i saved for a while. It took me a good while to stock my 90g, i'm still adding to it, got 3 turquoise rainbows i'm growing out in my 20g now.

Barracuda518

Post by Barracuda518 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:10 pm

Nice fish, one on my list to keep one day. I have seen them locally one time and they wanted $20 US Dollars a piece for them. I almost gave in, but they only had 2 left and were not going to order anymore.

Great Pictures 8)

clint

Post by clint » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:33 pm

They are a stunning fish, i'd like to get 1or 2 more too the 3 i have. For some reason they remind me a bala sharks, i think its their overall shape. $20 us dollars is a good price i paid $33 and $40 for the larger of the 3.

clint

Post by clint » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:13 pm

Found this little guy at my favorite LFS. He is only the size of a zebra danio and his color are much more subdued in real life, the cameras flash brought more color out. Even at this size still an expensive freshwater fish he costed $22. I hope to grow him out like the rest of his tank mates pictured above.

soul-hugger

Post by soul-hugger » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:05 pm

Hi, Clint..,

What beautiful pictures these are! I could imagine they would be hard to capture on camera, being such an active fish. I saw these at an LFS once, and they have been on my wish list ever since. Unfortunately, they were priced at $57 Canadian per fish, making them out of my reach. I was ecstatic when I heard about half-price Tuesdays and figured I'd snap a few of these up then. Too bad it only applied to fish under $10. They are an excellent fish to keep with Loaches because they like the same conditions.

You are lucky to live where you can get them at a decent price, because IMO they are one of the most beautifully coloured and streamlined of all freshwater fish.

soul-hugger
Success is measured by the amount of obstacles you have overcome.

zenins

Post by zenins » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:02 pm

We are very lucky here in Southern Ontario.
Our local Big Al's Aquarium Services here in Kitchener had these barbs on sale for $9.99
They were between 5 and 8 cm (2 and 3 inches)
I already have 5 and have no tank space for more, so I hope others snapped them up :)

Here is one I was showing in the Brantford Aquarium Society Show this past weekend:
It is at least 12cm (5 inches) total length
Came in 2nd in the Cyprinid Class

I did not enter any loaches in the show because there was no separate class for them, they were to be entered in the "Other Scavengers" class.
Sometimes there is a combined class for Loaches and Sharks in some shows, but I am happier when Loaches have their own class :D
Zenin

clint

Post by clint » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:22 am

SH, i agree they are real stunner in the aquarium, i just love their flash of color and their graceful, peaceful ways. Save your money or order online? They are worth every penny i think.

Zenins, another keeper with pics, congrats on the entry and second placing.
$9.99 is a steal. I have 4 with the little guy, and i too am out of space in my 90g :cry: . It has been a year since i cycled this tank and am just now done stocking it. Took alot of patience to add only what i wanted too, which is mostly loaches and rainbows, but the denison barb is a great addition to any 4' community tank, at least I think they need a 4' tank they are built for swimming with that streamlined body. I really like them in my tank.

clint

Post by clint » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:09 pm

Here is an update on my baby denison, he is growing fast and developing yellow on his anal fin which i've never seen in any pic nor in person at the stores. Might be he is one of a kind, certainly unusual.

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:35 pm

I think it's Mick that has some with yellow anal fins, cool.

clint

Post by clint » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:25 am

I did a google search yesterday on the denison barb, seen alot of pics, i did see 2 other pics where the fish had a yellow anal fin. While its not unique, its certainly not common. So yeah cool, his markings are coming in nicely, he had none when i purchased him.