R.I.P. Marge

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Emma Turner

R.I.P. Marge

Post by Emma Turner » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:15 pm

It is with great sadness that I have to announce that my beloved Marge passed away today. :cry: She was her usual self yesterday, but today we found her dead, with no external symptoms. Maybe it was just her time.
She will be greatly missed - I am absolutely heartbroken. :cry: I thought I would share a few previously unseen photos of her, plus a video taken a while back of her shoaling with her stripy friends in the moonlight:

For the video clip (around 30 secs) please turn the sound down, as this was taken with a camera that makes a bit of a noise when continually refocussing :arrow: http://s921.photobucket.com/albums/ad52 ... CN8695.flv

Rest in peace, beautiful Marge. X

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:22 pm

Oh, Emma!! I am so sorry!! :(
Marge was quite the celebrity!
I am sure that with the kind of care she got from you, it just must have been her time. You can take comfort in knowing that you provided her with a wonderful home and she is known and admired by people from all over the world.
Every time I do my loach presentation, Marge catches everyone's attention. She was quite a specimen.
Take care!!

plaalye

Post by plaalye » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:40 pm

Sad news Emma! Marge was the benchmark for clown loaches everywhere. Thanks for sharing her with us!

Doc

Post by Doc » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:43 pm

Oh my Emma, you must be so heartbroken. Such a shame. I always wanted to make the time to visit you and hopefully get the chance to see Marge in the flesh. I don't think Marge could have wished for a better home and care. Possibly the worlds most famous Clown Loach in the world. She will be greatly missed. :cry: :cry:
So many species of fish yet so little time, space and money to keep them all...

andre

Post by andre » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:28 pm

I'm so sorry Emma. I'm glad that I had a chance to meet her.

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:28 pm

Totally heartbreaking!!! She will be greatly missed. R.I.P Marge. XxX :(

onebto

Sincerely

Post by onebto » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:34 pm

I am so very sorry to hear such terrible news my thoughts are with you

Regards onebto

bookpage

Post by bookpage » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:09 pm

Sorry to hear about Marge. It will be some time before there is another like Marge.
240 - Clowns(15), Polka-Dot(6), Sids(57), Zebra(12), Burmese(5), Red-fin(4), YoYo(5), Sumo(2), Skunk(4), Peckoltia sabaji(1), L144 Black Eye Bristlenose Pleco(3), Odessa Barb(9), Roseline Sharks(6)

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bookpage1

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:34 pm

Possibly the worlds most famous Clown Loach in the world.
Without a doubt!!

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:34 pm

andre wrote:I'm so sorry Emma. I'm glad that I had a chance to meet her.
Me too. I will never forget the time in 2006 when a whole bunch of us stood in Emma's lounge in front of that magnificent aquarium and Emma tried to encourage Marge to come out of hiding. The others that form the superb shoal of Clowns in that tank were gorgeous in their own right and gave us all much visual pleasure.

And then Marge appeared. A room full of Loach keepers stopped breathing momentarily I think. Then a quietly spoken F-word eminated from many of our lips. It was the only expletive that remotely approached adequacy in reacting to this fish.

I don't believe there is anything that could adequately prepare a Loach enthusiast for a first sighting of Marge. She was so far beyond any other specimen you have ever seen of this species. You can know that they get that big (or bigger in the wild), but unless you have ever netted a mature adult from its native stream you can't get your head around Marge.

She lives on, life-size on pages 222 and 223 of the book Loaches. We fought to get this picture of her in the book so that people could see just what these fish can become. Because she was and will remain an icon of our hobby.

I cannot imagine right now how you must feel Emma. I know what she meant to you. Take pride that in your excellent care she flourished and continued to grow ever more magnificent.

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Bully

Post by Bully » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:50 pm

:cry: :cry: Sorry for your loss.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:26 pm

Emma, I am so sorry. You know Marge had a wonderful life with you. I have her t-shirt on this very moment. I am sure it was just her time. She is an inspiration to all Clown Loach owners.

tariesindanrie

Post by tariesindanrie » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:11 pm

Very sad to hear this news. Hugs to you, Em.

Kate
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”- Dr. Seuss

helen nightingale

Post by helen nightingale » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:29 pm

I am so sorry to hear about Marge. she was a wonderfull loach and i was priviledged to meet her, and i will miss her too. Martin summed things up well. she was majestic.

Marge definately had the best possible home, she had a good life, but its so sad that its her time

Em, my thoughts are with you, hugs my friend xx

shari2

Post by shari2 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:06 pm

So sorry to hear this Emma. :cry:
She was unique and beautiful - like you...
books. gotta love em!
http://www.Apaperbackexchange.com