Spawning loaches?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

dconnors

Spawning loaches?

Post by dconnors » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:48 pm

Just curious if many loaches have been spawned in captivity? If so are they accidental?

piggy4

Post by piggy4 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:10 pm

Hi Dconnors , there have been quite a lot of accidental spawning in aquaria ! usually this happens when the aquarist has created optimum conditions !

Mick [the fish] Wright is the only aquarist to actually spawn them under a set breeding situation , i.e. a pair in a tank with marbles on the base , introduced in the evening and removed in the morning ,in a way that you would spawn barbs or tetra's, or at least the only person I know of !

Mark [madduff ] has had a lot of success with a few loaches , due to his clever fishkeeping skills also !

Btw how are your Botia's doing ?

dlenn

Spawning Loaches?

Post by dlenn » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:37 pm

We certainly did not have any 'special' situation when our P.Cheni decided to spawn in the first tank they were in.

For a while ours were breeding quite prolifically. LES.. can tell you lots more than I can, but certainly at first there wasn't anything we did for the best situation.

For more information on this read the Topics started by LES.. entitled

P. Cheni breeding with sand substrate
and
Sexing P. Cheni

Sadly we only have one P.Cheni left, but would love to have more.

D'lenn
Surprises in small packages
Binabik
Tad Williams

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:19 pm

Several of us here on this site who have had hillstream loaches breed over the years. The most common species that have been bred are Psuedogastromyzon cheni, Liniparhomaloptera disparis, Sewellia lineolata and Sewellia Sp. "spotted". I believe there have been some other species of Sewellia bred, too.
Mesonemacheilus triangularis and some of the schisturas have been bred also.
Most of this seems to have occurred in the last few years, primarily, I think, because of the shared wealth of info on loach keeping that comes from this site and its posters.

dconnors

Post by dconnors » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:27 pm

Cool, guys thanks for the replies. I will definately look into those topics. My botias are doing awesome-I can't believe how fast they are growing. I will post up some more pics on the other thread soon :D

ch.koenig

Post by ch.koenig » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:28 am

as you said Jim
on the list are a lot: yunnanilus cruciatus, yunnanilus sp orange (fantasy name "tuberoschistura" on loaches), sewellia cf elongata, chromobotia macranthus, yasukikotakia sidthimunki, sewellia speciosa etc
my last are lepidocephalichthys guntea
I would make a difference between spawning species and bred species ("vermehrung" and "zucht" in german)

piggy4

Post by piggy4 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:35 pm

Hi Charles , my definition of breeding is Mickthefish's way i.e in a controlled situation :?:

Would it be possible to share your experience with the Gunteas ? very interesting !

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:44 am

I would make a difference between spawning species and bred species ("vermehrung" and "zucht" in german)
Good point.

ch.koenig

Post by ch.koenig » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:42 am

to point it out clearly: first possibility is the spawning in a community tank - due to the right conditions - and youngsters surviving regularly. second is a tank set-up for just one species with the same result (may be with other species not disturbing the set). third is the same with intensive care (one species only) - getting behold of eggs and youngsters and putting them in a seperate tank.
I would call it breeding if it is repeated.
the rest is rather "getting a result without any special set-up" ("vermehrung" in german). I wouldn't call that breeding.
the chioce depends on the species and the result intended.
let's take sewellia lineolata: they spawn even in a tank in a LFS with a dozen survivers i some months. a pair in a single tank-situation can "bring" about 200-400 youngster a year, with intesive care the same number in one month!
chromobotia macranthus: about 1000 eggs or more (depends on the size) in a single spawning. so far I don't know a breeder who had success. but some spontaneous results, even with a lot of survivers.
cheers Charles