Bad hoplo cat!

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Angelfish12

Bad hoplo cat!

Post by Angelfish12 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:34 am

I have noticed that my Hoplo cat, started trying to dig in the gravel. He has dug up some of the roots from my sword plant. I would really like to put him in my 55g when I add some plants, but I am afriad he will do some damage to the plants. If I have to get rid of him, my dad will take him. I don't want to give him up! Has this happen to anyone else?? :(

Thankyou, kelly

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:44 pm

Hi Kelly,
Digging is a natural behaviour for Hoplo cats (Megalechis thoracata), so they are not a good choice for a planted set-up where they will happily go around uprooting plants. A soft sand substrate will be kinder for their long sensory barbels too, as some gravels can be a bit rough. Hoplos get to a reasonable size so require a spacious tank (a 55 would be ok for juveniles but this would need upgrading at some point) and they really should be kept in good sized groups with lots of shady hiding places amongst the decor.
Hope this helps,
Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.