Clown Loach Help

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

starsplitter7

Clown Loach Help

Post by starsplitter7 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:02 pm

I had a tank go bad about 2 months ago and it really caused problems with my fish. It deteriorated the barbels of the fish. Many are coming back well, but I have two Cories, a Bristlenose and a Clown loach that haven't fully recovered. The Cories are not swimming strongly. The Bristle nose lost his bristles and the clown has a combination of issues. The clown must have gotten into a fight. He has healed gashes, but what worries me is that he is very pale and hasn't come out of his cave in a week, other than me prodding him out to take a look.

While I was on vacation (3 weeks ago) my poor mom had to care for the fish. She lost two which were a BN and a "white and black fish". I have found all my white and black fish, and I think I lost my largest Clown. :( The one that is ill is the second largest. I don't know if the loss of the largest would lead to grieving and hiding, . . .

I moved the Cories, Clown and BN to a Q-tank with two well cycled filters, lower water for additional air and their caves.

THe water readings are
Ammonia .25 (Prime I think is raising the number)
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5

My main questions are: Should I treat the tank or hope they will recover with some peace and very clean water? I was thinking of treating with Maracyn.

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

NDininno

Post by NDininno » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:26 am

I've only been keeping fish for about 3 years now, but if there is one thing I've learned from my personal experience it's that super high water quality for me has trumped meds every time. If they were my fish, I'd opt for the very clean water approach. But like I said I'm still a beginner hobbyist.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:57 am

I am a beginner too -- I think 4 -5 years, but I am leaning towards super clean water too. They all look settled in this morning. I will keep an eye out for them and do water changes every other day.

vealboy

Post by vealboy » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:18 pm

You mentioned that your clown looks as if it was in a fight, and you mentioned that there was a clown fatality. Maybe there is a correlation between the two. I am just throwing that out there.

I don't have tons of experience either, I have only been keeping fish for 18 months :wink:

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:49 pm

I agree with the advice from NDininno. I'd go with small frequent water changes and keeping the TDS consistent.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:50 pm

These injuries were inflicted about 2 months ago, and they are superficial. The other clown that died never had any injuries, and looked flawless according to my mom when he died. Really bothers me. I seem to lose my loaches at a specific size. I feel very badly about this. I hope my pale one survives. It is so hard to keep up a Clown Loach school and get healthy stoke.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:18 pm

I forgot to mention that one reason I used this tank for the quarantine tank is that it is full of gammarus shrimp and snails. I figured the clown and Cories could snack on the bounty to help them feel better. Luckily, none of these fish are thin. They have been eating. Even though the Cories' barbels are worn, I see them sifting through the gravel and sand looking for morsels. The clown and BN are hiding in their cave.

This is also an important consideration if I use meds, because I don't want all these critters to die, and then pollute the tank.

PS. I have a storm coming and my bichir is doing her happy dance. :) She gets frisky in the storms.

Beankyu

Post by Beankyu » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:35 pm

Thanks a lot for ur sharing.
I find it very helpful
:)

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:56 pm

Hi Keith,

I am sorry, I missed your post. I would say that is several opting for water changes, and no meds. That is what I shall do. All are doing fine in the Q tank so far.

Thanks everyone. Tanja.