Another ID request - injured wild loach in pond (uk)

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

KLKelly

Another ID request - injured wild loach in pond (uk)

Post by KLKelly » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:47 pm

On the GAB forum a member posted a wild loach was found in their grandmothers pond injured. They noted it was probably dropped in by a heron?? They wanted to know if they can bring it inside into an aquarium to help its recovery.

Missing half its tail and has jelly like black blobs on his head as per poster. "On its back there are small gel like blobs and on its head what could these be and should I get rid of them ?"

Any ideas what kind of loach it is if it is a loach (they mentioned stone loach) and what could be ailing it? Do you help it recover and then release it to the wild or keep in an aquarium/pond system?

Thanks guys.

Hokum

Post by Hokum » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:40 pm

Looks like a Weather loach, Misgurnus fossilis to me, but it could be a Stone loach, just looks too big to my eye.

Hmm it should be possible to keep it in a large tank but it would have to be very clean water i'd just try cool water in a large unheated tank indoors and a good mature filter. Somthing to aid healing my help but be careful if its very weak.

Edit: Just noticed your not in the UK, so i'm not 100% on your local species.
Last edited by Hokum on Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

KLKelly

Post by KLKelly » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:52 pm

I'm not in the UK but the poster from GAB is - the one who found this guy in their pond.

Its weird to even think of these guys being wild and just finding their way into a pond via heron or other means.

Hokum

Post by Hokum » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:57 am

If it is a weather loach it's a alien species and shouldn't be in the wild in the first place.

But if they keep it and heal it up get a shot of it. If it gets better get another image as i can't see any markings too well and stone loach are banded usually and only about 3-4 inches long.

If it has some external parasites a half dosage of Ektol crystal may help anything skin related but be careful if it's weak.

Do you have a link to the forum post?
Edit: don't worry i've found it.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:12 pm

The pic is not the best, but it looks like it could be Barbatula barbatula:
http://www.loaches.com/species-index/ba ... -barbatula
Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

KLKelly

Post by KLKelly » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:45 pm

Thank you again guys. I'm glad we don't have to be loach experts on GAB. We can stick to what we know best.

Turns out the loach was too injured and didn't make it. It was 8-10" long so probably not a stone loach.

The poster that found this in their pond is keen on getting loaches and I have asked them to join your great site and learn more about their needs and care before they jump in.

arny

Post by arny » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:12 am

perhaps someone owned it and didnt want it anymore so dumped it in their pond. these things happen

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:39 pm

KLKelly wrote:Turns out the loach was too injured and didn't make it. It was 8-10" long so probably not a stone loach.
Stone loaches (B. barbatula) can attain 8"+.

Sorry to hear it didn't make it.

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

piggy4

Post by piggy4 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:02 pm

Looks like a Misgurnus Anguilicaudatus !