Picture of my betta's disease - http://i.imgur.com/S7yvy.png

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

ahmandi2

Post by ahmandi2 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:25 am

My "new" betta Sid (had him for a month now) is now dying. His fins are looking crap. Where his fin & body meet, there is a crusty white line. From there, on his body, he is looking like he's been burned, or something. Almost his entire lower body is brownish. It's shiny, and at the edge of the area on his body, it's got that weird crusty white line again. ALmost like he's PEELING.
I have no idea what it is, and even if I did find out, he's too far gone to save. I will have to put him down today, if no miracle happens and he is suddenly ok.
I do not understand. Our tank has 8 danois who are just fine and dandy. Two loaches that seem ok. One loach died earlier this week, with no marks on him. He just never ate, from the day he came home with us.
Our bn pleco is fine as well.
I feel horrid because Sid was FINE in his little tank, all happy, ate from my finger, even jumped out for worms! Now, because I moved him into the other tank, he's dying.
Last edited by ahmandi2 on Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm not *THAT* kind of hunter"

Hokum

Post by Hokum » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:05 am

ahmandi2

picture of the disease my betta has...

Post by ahmandi2 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:46 am

arny

Post by arny » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:17 am

have you noticed the danios attacking him at all?

ahmandi2

Post by ahmandi2 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:27 am

Hi there,
They've left him alone the whole time....3 days ago I put him in the 55 Gallon, then I moved him back yesterday after I saw that he was extremely lethargic. While moving him i saw the mark on him...and today, when I put him down, I saw that the fins are 3/4 .....just....gone. Like shredded away :(.
The mark that he has was very pale after I took him out of the water. It was much browner when he was in the tank.
I don't know what any of that means. The bottom fin being torn apart in about 30 hours just blows my mind.

SondraT

Post by SondraT » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:59 pm

I'm so sorry about Sid! Are you saying he looked and acted fine until you put him into the larger tank? And he was only in the larger tank for 3 days when you noticed something was wrong? In that short of time, attack from the danios (perhaps at night?) is the first thing that pops into my head, but I suppose it could be many things. Velvet seems doubtful.. Sorry about your loss! :cry:

ahmandi2

Sidhartha's Story

Post by ahmandi2 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:54 am

He was a lovely, happy, nest blowing boy until I moved him...the danios would obviously be the go to thought, though, I know...but the same thing happened to two other betta's when they were alone in the tank :((.
We're treating the tank for ich, velvet & fin rot. Just in case. I mean, sid's gone and all, but we are looking to add some fish here pretty soon, and we don't want to have the tank infected, after we q our new fishies, and really don't want to lose ANY more fish.
Thank you for your responses, I've learned so much on this forum. :)