OCA Extravaganza

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

zenins

OCA Extravaganza

Post by zenins » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:40 pm

Hey all,

This past weekend I was in Cleveland Ohio for the annual Extravaganza put on by the OCA Ohio Cichlid Association.
Their emphasis is on Cichlids and Catfish, but in the show there was a Sharks and Loaches class.
I did not bring any fish to show, because I was not sure what the border crossing experience would be like these days between Canada and the U.S.
So, instead, I sponsored the Sharks and Loaches class:
Yeah, they put an extra n on the end of my first name :lol: as if there wasn't enough letters in my name already ... :wink:

Here are some loaches in the show:

While I was in Cleveland, I visited a local Tropical Fish store and saw this Clown in with some Rift Lake African cichlids:

Sorry about the fuzzy loach, the auto-focus on my camera used the tail of the cichlid. The photo looked okay on the small screen on the back of the camera, but until you see it on a larger screen ... :roll:
Zenin

Graeme McKellar

Post by Graeme McKellar » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:26 am

Hi Zenin, Did the Khulli win First Place - she is a real stunner.
Thanks for sharing your photos. Cheers Graeme.
"I want to speak with many things and I will not leave this planet without knowing what I came to find, without solving this affair, and people are not enough. I have to go much farther and I have to go much closer." - Pablo Neruda.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:14 pm

That is really cool. Nice you sponsored the Loaches and Shark class. Some very nice looking fish. Thanks for posting.

When you look at the clown, you can see that the cichlid environment may not be the most healthy for the clown.

Totally offtopic:
I am nosey. Where does your name come from? Your last name seems Polish to be, but I have never come across your first name.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:36 pm

I have been there as a speaker and its an enjoyable event.
I even had the pleasure of helping to judge the loaches. :D

zenins

Post by zenins » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:02 am

Graeme McKellar wrote:Hi Zenin, Did the Khulli win First Place - she is a real stunner.
Yes it did place first, I think a red tail black shark was second and I can't remember what came in third.
There were a few more loaches entered after I took those photos but I did not get any reasonable photos :(
Zenin

zenins

Post by zenins » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:14 am

starsplitter7 wrote:Totally offtopic:
I am nosey. Where does your name come from? Your last name seems Polish to be, but I have never come across your first name.
My heritage is Ukrainian. My grand parents came from Western Ukraine to Canada in 1898 as pioneer farmers in Manitoba. I still speak and read Ukrainian (Cyrillic alphabet Украї́нська абе́тка) but my children only know some food related words for when they go to my Mom's house :wink:
Regarding my first name, it is actually Zenon, but when I was in grade 1 and 2, there was another student with the same first name (also from the Ukrainian community in public school), so the teacher spelled my name Zenin to tell us apart, I have spelled it that way ever since then.

Yes off topic, and now back to our regularly scheduled programme :)
Zenin

palaeodave

Post by palaeodave » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:29 pm

In the fourth picture down, what species is that?
"Science is a lot like sex. Sometimes something useful comes of it, but that’s not the reason we’re doing it" ー R Feynman

newshound

Post by newshound » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:55 pm

fourth down
Sinibotia robusta
drain your pool!

zenins

Post by zenins » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:17 pm

newshound wrote:fourth down
Sinibotia robusta
I believe you are correct:
http://www.loaches.com/species-index/sinibotia-robusta

The one in the show looked larger than any I had seen before, the bars were starting to split at the bottom indicating an older loach.
I should have come back after the show to see if its colour was better, but I did not get the chance :wink:
Zenin