Dojo loach w/Bloody Tailfin

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

kaffinated

Dojo loach w/Bloody Tailfin

Post by kaffinated » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:21 pm

Hey guys.... Tried reading through the forums but can't seem to find anything on this. I have a pretty diverse tank that gets along surprisingly well and as they've been together a long time now, I don't think this is a fighting issue. I have 2 golden dojos, one adult angelis botia, one baby angelis botia, 3 black khulis, 4 pangio khulis, a catfish, a chinese algae eater and a shrimp. I do frequent water changes, plenty of hiding spaces, plenty of aeration, great currents and the crew has a field day frisking in the movement of the water all day/night (depending on time of day and who's turn it is lol)... Oh and the temp stays about 76.

Anyway, I have a golden dojo loach that i noticed yesterday had blood in her tail, almost as if she'd broken a blood vessel or something. This morning it looks much worse but she's active, playful, eating and doesn't seem to be acting much differently than normal tho my fiance says he's noticed hr passing more gas than normal and she's keeping her tail more closed than normal. She also seems to be floating her hind end more...

Had my water tested yesterday and everything was fine tho my nitrates were a bit high and I'll be doing a water change today. I'm also looking to find my guys a bigger tank this week. Right now they're in a 20L with an aquaclear 70 filter but they've always been happy and playful with no issues till now....

Any thoughts?

starsplitter7

Re: Dojo loach w/Bloody Tailfin

Post by starsplitter7 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:20 pm

I would say that the Chinese Algae Eater might be to blame. As they age, they eat no algae and become extremely aggressive. I would return it to the LFS.

It will help your fish a lot to upgrade the tank. That one is tiny. Once you get a large enough tank the B. kubotai also need a couple more friends.

Keep your water super clean and I imagine the Dojo will recover.

http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/Fishindx/algeater.htm

http://hubpages.com/hub/Challenges-With ... gae-Eaters

Diana

Post by Diana » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:40 pm

Look up bacterial infection. When the blood looks like it is inside, not like an external injury, this is often what is going on.
You an isolate this fish and feed it medicated food (with antibiotics). This is not too contagious. Just that you want to be sure that this fish is eating the food.
A medication that you put in the water and enters the fish's body through the gills will also work.
A medication that just treats the surface of the fish is not good for this.

Here is a link with a lot of possible diseases of fish. Based on what you posted above, I would suggest you scroll down to item K
http://www.nationalfishpharm.com/fish_d ... /fins.html

Have a look at other items, there, too.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

kaffinated

Post by kaffinated » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:44 pm

I've never seen the the algae eaters go after the loaches but I can see that they might be an issue, I'll definitely keep an eye on them. As for the tank, I went to my local fish guy today and he did me a HUGE solid and I got a 55 gallon long with hoods for $40!! Omg my loaches are gonna love me and yes, without a DOUBT I'll be getting more friends for each of them =P I'm such an addict and watching them all together is more fun than TV these days /grin.

Thanks much!!

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:03 pm

Congratulations on the bigger tank. Your fish will love it. Get the filter and run it on your current tank to get the cycle started.

ahmandi2

Post by ahmandi2 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:44 am

Congrats on the 55g! Your loaches will be so happy to have more family to curl up around/over/under! :)
"I'm not *THAT* kind of hunter"