How can I further spoil my little Dojos?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Dojosmama

How can I further spoil my little Dojos?

Post by Dojosmama » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:45 pm

Dojos are the puppy-dogs of aquaria. We all like to spoil our puppy-dogs, don't we? These little guys get their water changed and their gravel vacuumed regularly. They have lots of nice caves to hide in, and they get their favorite foods often -- O-Nip tablets and algae pellets. They have soft floating plants to rest in, almost like their own little beds. Don't know how else to spoil them, since I don't know if they would play with toys. They sure are cute. How do you spoil your Dojos?

-- Dojosmama

starsplitter7

Re: How can I further spoil my little Dojos?

Post by starsplitter7 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:15 pm

Mine like frozen blood worms that they take from my fingers. I call my Dojos puppies too. :) I also keep them in the largest group possible.

ahmandi2

Post by ahmandi2 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:39 am

Not much experience here, as you may know, but I have to say, having a mama like you, they probably are living the absolute BEST life they can! Plenty spoiled indeed....as they should be! The "otters" of the fish world!
(Or puppies lol)
"I'm not *THAT* kind of hunter"

Dojosmama

Post by Dojosmama » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:49 pm

The pampered little pets are going to be feasting on freeze-dried daphnia pretty soon, as soon as my LFS gets it in. I don't think my other fish will be complaining much, either. Dojos got their o-nips this morning and pigged out. It's so fun to watch them devour their favorite foods like there's no tomorrow. And then they sit on the substrate, stare out at me, and occasionally "yawn" like they're bored and sleepy. Soooo cute!

-- Dojosmama

kaffinated

Post by kaffinated » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:39 pm

One of my fave things to do for mine is get them live brine shrimp - watching them hunt them down is priceless and they LOVE em!!

Dojosmama

Post by Dojosmama » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:31 am

I'll see how they respond to the freeze-dried daphnia, which they've never had before. If they like that, then I'll move up to live brine shrimp for them. Five-star treatment for my little loaches!

-- Dojosmama

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:42 pm

My Dojos ignore the daphnia, because it is too small for them to spend the energy eating. I keep the daphnia for my fry.

Dojosmama

Post by Dojosmama » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:11 pm

I'll watch for that, then. I plan to deliver it to them via a small syringe held closely to the bottom of the tank and in front of them so they can easily get at the daphnia when I push down the plunger. If they ignore it, then I'll try giving them live brine shrimp. I have plenty of other fish that will eat the daphnia, including White Cloud Minnows and Zebra and Glo-Fish Danios. Just so they're all happy. I like to spoil all my fishies, but my Dojos are by far my favorites.

-- Dojosmama