Question Time

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Sorceress

Question Time

Post by Sorceress » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:08 pm

friend has a terrarium that they want to convert into a fish tank is it possible?

starsplitter7

Re: Question Time

Post by starsplitter7 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:33 pm

Does it hold water? Some terrariums have holes drilled in them. If your friend adds water to the tank, do it outside incase the tank explodes.

Keith Wolcott

Post by Keith Wolcott » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:23 pm

Sometimes they are built with thinner glass since they do not need to withstand the pressure of water. Thus, I think that your friend should be cautious.

Diana

Post by Diana » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:19 pm

Glass tanks built for reptiles and terrariums are not going to hold water safely over the long term. Sure, check it outside, but even so, I am not sure I would trust it.

I would just go buy a real aquarium, and not risk it. Your friend will have to get all the proper aquarium equipment, and the tank is not that expensive a part of the whole project.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Sorceress

Post by Sorceress » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:24 pm

no this is an actual 98 gallon aquarium tank that was used for a terrarium it's got logs and rocks in it from what i can see as friend has it buried and you can only see it from outside the living room window due to the fact they have moved stuff from the basement to the upstairs living room during a reno of the basement into a livable space

Lambi

Post by Lambi » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:49 pm

Sorceress wrote:no this is an actual 98 gallon aquarium tank
Ha well there's ur answer? Surely?

Diana

Post by Diana » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:38 pm

An actual aquarium that has been used for something else might work when it is turned back into an aquarium. The problem is the silicone. If it has aged, for example been kept in the open, exposed to the UV in the sunlight, kept dry... it can weaken the silicone.
All the tanks I have had problems with were this sort: Several had been stored in a barn for a few years. The smallest one I resealed. The larger 2 do not hold water for longer than a couple of months. They are being used as paludariums.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Sorceress

Post by Sorceress » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:03 pm

so there would be no problems other then re sealing the tank no nasty bugs to infect the fish if turned back into a fish tank ? as right not friend is unsure what to do with the thing once he unburies it from the stuff that is around it as they are not a fish keeping person and i told him that an aquarium would probably be the best way to advertise it unles i am wrong :?
the friend has a nasty habit of reminding me what i put in to my little five gallon :lol: due to the fact they are a bit of a scrooge when it some to spending any money on what the friend thinks is a frivolous and time wasting hobby or a car repair :roll: