Blue botia and clowns?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

millsn

Blue botia and clowns?

Post by millsn » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:05 pm

I've seen a number of tanks now posted on here with this mix. I assume the usual shoal size rules aplying to clowns also apply to blue botia but I thought the blues were considered agressive. How does one go about mixing the species in the same tank or is it a no-no?

For info, I'm thinking something over 120 UK gals or 6x2x2 minimum as an easy reckoner.
Other than that the tank would include some silver sharks, some zebra loaches and a number of siamese flying foxes but be largely dedicated to the botia.

Emma Turner

Re: Blue botia and clowns?

Post by Emma Turner » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:59 pm

Hi millsn,
In my opinion, Clown loaches and Blue botia (Y. modesta) are not a good combination. You will find that many people claim to 'get away' with such a mixture, but in reality the Blues are far too aggressive to be housed alongside the Clowns (which are gentle giants). Although they have similar requirements in terms of water parameters, tank size etc, the constant harassment from the Blues will distress the Clowns. Y. modesta are far better maintained either in a large species-only shoal, or with some of the more feisty botiids that can handle a bit of belligerence, such as some of the Tiger (Syncrossus spp.) loaches.
Hope this helps,
Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

millsn

Post by millsn » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:32 pm

Hi Emma,
Thanks very much for the response. Shame to hear, they're such a striking colour and loachy too! Still I like clowns well enough.
I just put my flying fox in the same tank and he's never been happier in the higher flow. He used to be in pretty much still water in a planted tank. Took me a while to realise he was too big for the tank and also preferred faster water.

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:54 pm

Glad to hear your Flying fox is enjoying being in the new tank. Would love to see some pictures of your set-up at some point. 8)

millsn

Post by millsn » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:12 pm

Well it's actually about to get replaced if I can only get a quote. Then it's big tank time. It's only a 36 uk gal 4ft now albeit fairly tall. Just a question of time before it gets replaced, most of the planning's done. It'll be about 6x2x2 which should be a decent size and it'll take u pmost of our study in the process.

Plan is to run twwo FX5s and as many powerheads as it requires. I've two tunzes in the 4ft, one's the smallest they do, the other one runs pulsing and is the next size up. LED tiles do the lighting, I love watching the fish go to bed rather than being plunged into darkness and likewise at "dawn".

I've one fx5, an external heater, two eheims 2227 and ecco and a overhead trickle filter integral to the tank (part of the fixed coverglass). Substrate is sand, hiding places are bogwoood.

Don't have any pics here though, I'll certainly post some when I get the new tank

millsn

Post by millsn » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:34 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuKfIvF6m-A
Here's my tank. Sorry about the music but my son came in and said something unpublishable about another family member! and yes the tank is very scratched --it took me some time to discover acrylic pads to clean the glass with :)

Tank is 36 gallons with about that much in external filtration again. 4ft long, 18" wide. Occupants probably feeling a bit squeezed but the new tank is almost on order having been promising it to myself for over a year I've now saved the cash!

NB: the tank isn't as bright as it looks. The camera is overexposing because it's so dim.

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:20 pm

Nice chunky clowns! I'm sure they will defiantly appreciate the up-grade. 8)

millsn

Post by millsn » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:01 pm

Many thanks Graeme, I'll post something up when it's all setup. I'm pretty pleased with my loaches, they seem happy and they're all active. They do get spoilt. Mussels was on the menu today :D
It pains me that the tank isn't right. It'll get there soon though, still debating the details.