My First Bowl Show with Pictures

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

starsplitter7

My First Bowl Show with Pictures

Post by starsplitter7 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:14 pm

Unfortunately, I didn't have a camera with me last night, or I would have taken pictures of all the entries. There were two classes this month: Killies and Invertebrates. I don't have any killies, but I do have inverts. I enter a Red Cherry Shrimp (who faded completely), a beautiful Red Crystal Shrimp, and my beloved Bamboo Shrimp, who shed his skin this week, so was looking particularily lovely this week. I had no idea he had blue tones which showed up well in the pictures. First place went to a beautiful blue crawdad. Wish I had a picture.

Red Crystal Shrimp 2nd Place

Red Cherry Shrimp 3rd Place

Bamboo Shrimp 3rd Place

Crissyloach

Re: My First Bowl Show with Pictures

Post by Crissyloach » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:16 am

That is awesome! Great pics! :)

Current betta count...Too many. :P

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:44 pm

I wanted people in my fish club to see how awesome shrimp can be. :) I love them.

Barracuda518

Post by Barracuda518 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:10 pm

That Bamboo Shrimp is very nice 8)

mrsleny

Post by mrsleny » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:01 pm

Beautiful .... I love shrimp myself. Is bamboo the same as flower? I have 2 flower shrimp but hardly ever see them except after dark. Last night was the first time I spotted both of them. They must have hated when I shone my flashlight at them.

I have a small 10 gallon tank with one assassin snail, 2 amano shrimp and 3 oto cats. I wonder if red cherry or crystal shrimp would do okay in there. I'm not sure if the assassin would consider them snacks.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:39 am

Thanks Barracuda. I am very fond of that shrimp. :) I have three.

Yes, Bamboo and flowers and fans are all the same shrimp. :) They are wonderful. Love them. I have three that live with Bristlenoses, guppies, and Panda garras. All seem to do well together. How long have you had the shrimp? Are they growing? My biggest fear is not getting enough food for them. I feed them fry food into the water column.

I have cherries and crystals together, and they are fine. (Read they do not interbreed.) They live with my fancy snails. I have assassin's in another tank. I don't think the assassins would bother the shrimp, because the shrimp would move away before the assassin could cause a problem. They would be fine with amanos and otos.

shadoj

Post by shadoj » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:09 pm

Congrats, and very lovely shrimp! I recently got a dozen red cherries plus some ghost shrimp, and they're really amusing to watch. Maybe if I'm lucky some crystal reds as nice as yours will come up at my next club auction!

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:01 pm

I am really enamored with shrimp. I started with ghosts, and made my way to Amano and flowers. Recently the cherries started breeding, and although my crystals are berried I haven't seen any shrimplets. I am hoping i will very soon.

Crissyloach

Post by Crissyloach » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:43 pm

I really want to start keeping shrimp. They seem pretty cool!

Once I upgrade my 30 gallon I will combine the 2 10's and then I have those tanks free. I think I will use one for shrimp, and put my smaller tetras in there too- only have a small school of them. I can then use my 16 gallon as a female betta sorority. I have it all planned out...:)

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:52 pm

I keep the shirmp with guppies, and the shrimp still managed to reproduce. Put in a good hunk of java moss. Please put up pictures when you get your shrimp tank. I have pretty snails with my shrimp.

Crissyloach

Post by Crissyloach » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:52 pm

Sure! I have wanted to keep guppies for a while too...might have to change some of those plans, but it could work!! :)

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:15 pm

I used to work in a fish store, and brought home feeder fish, so my guppies are nothing special, but I like them.

mrsleny

Post by mrsleny » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:01 am

I've had my flower shrimp for several months now since last fall. They are very shy. I also have several ghost shrimp. Two are pregnant (not sure of the scientific term for this) so hopefully there will be babies, though I understand chances are slim, with the pangios and botias around.

I was considering cherry or yellow shrimps but not sure if the histies would snack on them.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:06 am

I am sure the Histies would snack on the shrimp. But if they live with shrimp now and don't eat them, then maybe they don't cnsider shrimp food.

mrsleny

Post by mrsleny » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:45 am

The ghost shrimp are pretty quick on their feet so to speak. Not sure if the red or yellow shrimp are as fast. I may try them next time I sell them on sale.