Getting some skunks

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

JonasBygdemo

Getting some skunks

Post by JonasBygdemo » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:54 pm

Hi all

After looking into skunks (Y. Morleti) for a while, I finally placed an order at our LFS. They will, temporarily, live in a 120L tank with some tiger barbs until a tank in a better size (and price) pops up. I know that they are by no means friendly, that's why they'll only be housed with the tigers, since they are fiesty and aggressive too. Any thoughts or tips?

Graeme Robson

Re: Getting some skunks

Post by Graeme Robson » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:24 pm

Hi,
Sounds like a good combination. What sort of decor were you planning? They will definitely appreciate lots of large cobbles to hide between. Try and arrange the rocks to create lots of visual barriers so that they can get away from each other when squabbles erupt.
:D
Graeme.

JonasBygdemo

Post by JonasBygdemo » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:51 pm

I haven't really thought about decor yet. We have a couple of nice roots to put in, and I've bought 2 coconuts to make caves from. I'll definately try to divide with rocks and roots and stuff like you said. The article here on Loaches says that they'll dig up plants, so I'm thinking about skipping plants. I don't know how it works in practice though.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:32 am

I have mine in a planted tank, but the plants are easy and low maintenance with no major problems. But skunks can have a variety of personalities. Mine are relatively docile. But that doesn't mean I would trust a new one to behave the same way. Mine live in a piece of driftwood and chase each other with no major damage. But there are lots of places to hide. Mine were young and grew up together.

My plants are wisteria and swords -- tough easy plants.

JonasBygdemo

Post by JonasBygdemo » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:40 pm

Okay nice, so plants seems like an option! We'll see how the tank turns out, the fish will be arriving in about 2 weeks, so I have time to plan it all out.

Hanna.Ö

Post by Hanna.Ö » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:24 am

Here`s the Skunks!. I`m sorry I didn`t cleaned the glass, I did it right after I`ve recorded. Don`t think the decoration of the tank is finished either, but this is how it looks right know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLGuPauu ... ideo_title

JonasBygdemo

Post by JonasBygdemo » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:04 am

Just to avoid confusion, Hanna is my girlfriend :D

As she wrote, we now own skunks and green tigerbarbs! I fell in love with the skunks the very second I saw them, they're just so cute. We ended up with 10 of each (barbs/loaches), which seems like a good choice, since we don't have any fighting as of yet.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:58 am

Those are beautiful skunks and they look very healthy and are doing their loachy dance already. The Green Togers are very pretty too.

Very nice catfish you have too. I love my cats. My skunks live in a community tank, but like I have said, they are a little different from most skunks.

Keep us posted in how they are doing.

JonasBygdemo

Post by JonasBygdemo » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:24 pm

starsplitter7 wrote:Those are beautiful skunks and they look very healthy and are doing their loachy dance already. The Green Togers are very pretty too.

Very nice catfish you have too. I love my cats. My skunks live in a community tank, but like I have said, they are a little different from most skunks.

Keep us posted in how they are doing.
Thanks!

They live with one Baryancistrus sp. L-142 and one Baryancistrus sp. L-81 at the moment. We might move the cats eventually due to their size, but for now they'll live with the skunks and barbs. They have been left alone so far, maybe with an occasional fight with a skunk, but the fins look nice and the aggression is usually low.

What kind of cats do you have?

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:01 pm

I have a lot of catfish. :) Don't know their L names and am too lazy to look up their Scientific names. I like catfish almost as much as loaches, and I am sure I have more than the ones listed below. :)

Here's a few:
Common Pleco
Gibby Pleco
S. euruptus
Raphael
Spotted Raphael
Croaking Catfish
Red Lizard Whiptail Catfish
Common Whiptails
Bristlenose
Albino Bristlenose
Long fin regular and Albino Bristlenose