What pangio is it?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

LVKSLoachlady

What pangio is it?

Post by LVKSLoachlady » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:29 pm

I have had this fish( in the very front) for 2 years and this evening was the 1st time I have EVER been able to snap some pics... as bad as they are... so do you think it's....Pangio kuhlii, Pangio semicincta or Pangio malayana... I really don't know I believe the other 6-7 to be kuhlii's but one might be semicincta... there is a seemingly black dot that's moving around on him... it's on the tank glass...

shadoj

Re: What pangio is it?

Post by shadoj » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:10 pm

The Pangio with the big black joined saddle looks a lot like one of the pictures of P. kuhlii shown in the 1993 Kottelat & Lim paper, Fig 14a (bottom fish), collected in Johor, Malaysia. The black doesn't extend quite as far down the sides of your fish, though. Still possibly just a regional color variation. Have any crisper photos?

LVKSLoachlady

Post by LVKSLoachlady » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:33 pm

Not yet but he's been coming out a lot more lately now that I FINALLY caught him out of the old tank and put him back with his buddies :D I need to get some really good pics of his mouth! and of the other ones too...

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:15 am

Shadoj, the figure you refer to shows a specimen of P. semicincta as currently recognised. See paragraphs two and three in the 'notes' section here: http://www.seriouslyfish.com/profile.ph ... ta&id=1491

shadoj

Post by shadoj » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:24 am

Oops, thanks for the correction. Only specimens from Java are actually called P. kuhlii now, no?
(I lament... Why oh why can't poor hobbyists like me access more recent primary literature on Pangio for free? Maybe I should stop even trying to identify any fish until that's the case). Sorry to confuse! I guess that means that P. semicinta is a possibility.

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:52 am

Only specimens from Java can be called P. kuhlii for sure yes, and believe it or not this means that the species has probably never been traded, or at least not in the last few decades. :roll:

cybermeez

Post by cybermeez » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:25 pm

She might be P. myersi. Their black markings are usually blocky while the other species of striped Kuhlis are more variable, generally saddle shaped or with spots. I say "she" because she's nice and chunky. Females are thicker than males. Her body usually tapers off from the vent back toward her tail fin, most noticeably when she's full of eggs. Either way, nice little fish.
LVKSLoachlady wrote:Image

I have had this fish( in the very front) for 2 years and this evening was the 1st time I have EVER been able to snap some pics... as bad as they are... so do you think it's....Pangio kuhlii, Pangio semicincta or Pangio malayana... I really don't know I believe the other 6-7 to be kuhlii's but one might be semicincta... there is a seemingly black dot that's moving around on him... it's on the tank glass...
My best friend is a cat.