So sad :(

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Crissyloach

So sad :(

Post by Crissyloach » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:36 pm

I must euthanise my beautiful female betta. She has so much character- she jumps 4 inches out of the water for food, and she was a great breeder!!! I really don't want to- I will miss her a lot. But I know that it has to be done. Her Tb is a lot worse oday.

:( X 1 000 000 000 000 000 000...

Current betta count...Too many. :P

starsplitter7

Re: So sad :(

Post by starsplitter7 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:31 pm

I know this was super hard on you, but your betta was lucky to have you care for her so much. May she be happy in a big spring in the sky.

Crissyloach

Post by Crissyloach » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:06 pm

I hope so. She died earlier today.

Lambi

Post by Lambi » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:13 pm

Sorry to hear that :(

cider

Post by cider » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:10 am

so sorry to hear , G
cider

Crissyloach

Post by Crissyloach » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:26 am

Thanks for all of your kind words :)

Crissyloach

Post by Crissyloach » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:57 pm

I lost my ct male today. He got into a fight with another male betta, and has not been doing well since. He was in a temporary breeding trap, and another male jumped in with him. He started to heal, but then just weakened entirely.

RIP :(

Crissyloach

Post by Crissyloach » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:00 pm

Sadly I must bring this up, yet again. Last night I lost my 1 of a kind butterfly male (Mr.Blue). He was in a fungus treatment, and died to something I believe- was internal. He had no sighns of ilness- except for the fungus related problem.

I also lost one of my larger betta fry, Little Miss, who was also very unique. She was 2.5 months old, and died with a piec of defrosted bloodworm in her mouth. I assume that it was too big, and she wasn't able to swallow the rest of it without choking- which she did- not able to breathe because of the worm. I found her on the bottom of the tank, with the bloodworm piece sticking out of her mouth, eyes clouded over.

RIP Little Miss, and Mr. Blue. Image
Last edited by Crissyloach on Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

ahmandi2

Post by ahmandi2 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:22 pm

Wow brutal, I haven't been on a while cause I shatterred my ankle and broke my tibea; but it sounds like you lost some of your loved bettas!! I'm so sorry :(.
I hope you're feeling a bit better, it's been a while since your loss, and that things have turned around into a happy upswing and maybe some other fry that you have survive?
Take care!!!!
"I'm not *THAT* kind of hunter"

Crissyloach

Post by Crissyloach » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:37 am

HI!!

Yep! Lost a bunch! Lost another today, and another fry 1 week ago. Every local fish keeper is having trouble with the bettas. Nobody knows if it is bad stock, or our HORRIBLE weather patterns. Large betta losses all around. Spawning is hard right now, and lots of bettas are sick. For ALL of us!! Very few successful spawns. 1 that I know of in the past 2 months. Out of all the breeders on this local forum. Too many losses right now. 4 that I know of on 1 local forum alone. And that is just today! 4 in 1 day. 4!!

It has been hard keeping fry for all of us too. I have 2- but most people don't have any at all- their spawns just aren't healthy. That or they are VERY small(20 hatch, usually 50-75% or them don't make it, and there are always weaker ones). It is the temperature fluctuations (in the air- affects them because they breathe this air), the low humidity, and massive air pressure changes. All have effects on them. It is horrible for all of us!

I cant wail until the summer! Always a good time for betta breeding, and very few losses.:)

Crissyloach

Post by Crissyloach » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:19 pm

Just lost the sick ram of mine a few days ago. We are not sure what was wrong with him. :(

yaksaredabomb

Post by yaksaredabomb » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:00 pm

Wow, it sounds like you've had a traumatic couple months with your poor bettas struggling so much. We're starting to get warmer weather in my area - hopefully things will turn around for you soon if they haven't already!

Speaking of temperature changes, how do you keep the temperature stable for your fish? I have a "small" 20 gallon tank that fluctuates just a couple degrees, but my 2.5 gallon qt fluctuates more - maybe 3 or 4 degrees. Maybe tank size adds to the challenge?

With some considering a 5 gallon tank "very generous" for a betta maybe some creativity with heaters would help tighten up the fluctuations? Or do you already use larger tanks with dividers, or some other environment for your bettas that would keep the temperature pretty stable?

I'm not even sure how important keeping the temp within a degree or two is, but it must be very sad for you to be having such troubles. You haven't posted in a few weeks so maybe they're doing better - I hope so!

Crissyloach

Post by Crissyloach » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:34 pm

I have heaters for all of the tanks- and the thermometer always reads the same temp.

Lost another recently- but being a pet store betta I wouldn't be surprised if he was just a weaker one or something like that.

oldguy

Post by oldguy » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:01 am

Crissyloach: I just reviewed this thread out of curiosity due to the headline: "So Sad..." and as it reads from one end to the other, it seems that you are having a lot of undiagnosed loss. You seem to have a lot of water set up for fish. What is your purpose in breeding them?