weather loach in a pond

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

andy1972

weather loach in a pond

Post by andy1972 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:53 am

Hello all this is my first post im looking for some info on weather loaches as in are they ok to keep in a garden pond with the other fish and comeback indoors in the colder months with the others... ?

Thanx for any help

Matt

Re: weather loach in a pond

Post by Matt » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:50 am

Hi, where are you based? Asian Misgurnus and Paramisgurnus spp. are now considered invasive species across much of Europe due to them escaping from fish farms and private garden ponds then becoming established in natural waters. In Spain they're also exerting a negative effect on endemic Cobitis populations. If there's any chance of them surviving the whole year round outdoors in your country, I'd strongly advise against it.

andy1972

Post by andy1972 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:37 pm

Matt wrote:Hi, where are you based? Asian Misgurnus and Paramisgurnus spp. are now considered invasive species across much of Europe due to them escaping from fish farms and private garden ponds then becoming established in natural waters. In Spain they're also exerting a negative effect on endemic Cobitis populations. If there's any chance of them surviving the whole year round outdoors in your country, I'd strongly advise against it.
Hi i live in north east england

andy1972

Post by andy1972 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:04 pm

come on guys someone must know if a weather loach is ok in a pond in uk and im pritty sure it wont get into the water system the closest river is about 5 mile away and very salty

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:42 am

If there's no risk of escape then you should be ok.

Diana

Post by Diana » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:10 pm

http://www.loaches.com/species-index/we ... licaudatus

See the lowest temperature?
If your pond will stay at least that warm, then the weather loach may be fine outdoors year round. Otherwise, better to bring them in for the winter.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:41 am

They can go colder than that as they're breeding here in northern Spain.

millsn

Post by millsn » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:04 am

I think perhaps you should consider how fish arrive in an otherwise empty pond. I suspect they arrive on the beaks of birds. I'm not convinced that the geographical seperation is a good control.

Dojosmama

Post by Dojosmama » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:54 pm

How deep is the pond? Weather Loaches (Dojos) are notorious for jumping out of any uncovered aquahome, if it's shallow enough, and even if it's deep. Because of how they're designed, they come to the surface to gulp air, and they also get excited and frenzied when the barometric pressure changes, signaling a change in weather. That's when they're most likely to jump out of their watery environment.

They are coldwater fish, and if yours has been bred and raised in aquariums all its life, it would be best to continue letting it live in a covered tank.

Besides, aren't they cute enough to want to spoil? That's best done in an aquarium where you can watch their cute antics and give them treats (not too often though -- not good to overfeed).

In an open pond, they would also be vulnerable to predation. Water birds, cats, water snakes -- all could make a meal of them. If you want yours as a pet, it needs the protection of an in-home aquarium with carefully selected, peaceful mates.

On the subject of mates, Dojos are a social fish and fare better with more than one. A group of no fewer than three of them is preferred.

I ran this past my little dojos, and they vetoed the pond idea, fins down!

-- Dojosmama

Batch

Post by Batch » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:27 pm

Hey,
I keep dojos in my water garden (~200 gallons or so, maybe 2 ft deep). They've been in there for years, and get through the winter
(I'm in east TN) just fine.

Batch