Help! my black kuhli has gone white

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

jadahle

Help! my black kuhli has gone white

Post by jadahle » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:58 pm

I posted in another thread, but I realized the last activity on that thread is a couple years old.

I have 5 black kuhli loaches. I started with 2 of them and then added three more a couple weeks later. Last night I noticed that they were REALLY active. They were all zipping around the tank faster then I have ever seen them before. I then noticed that one of the original ones had gone from his strong red undertoned java color to white, with a red stripe the entire length of his sides. He was acting just like all the others in every way.

Water is testing fine (nitrates/nitrites, pH, etc.) and we haven't made any recent changes?

Any ideas on what is going on.

Oh yeah. Tank mates are 5 guppies (4 males 1 female, accident) and 6 glolight tetras, and the other 4 black kuhli loaches. Its a 20 gallon tank.

jadahle

Re: Help! my black kuhli has gone white

Post by jadahle » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:55 am

I've been told by a couple people on another forum that apparently they change color when they sleep? It was suggested that I had just encountered one of them right after it woke? I have not read anything like this anywhere else? Anyone on here had/seen something like that?

ahmandi2

Re: Help! my black kuhli has gone white

Post by ahmandi2 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:20 pm

My kuhlies change color; they go pale, not to white, but very pale, so that you see the red along their sides very clearly, and bone white on their underbelly. I don't know what it means, but mine are healthy and active, regardless of their color du jur.... :)
"I'm not *THAT* kind of hunter"